Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophomore kicked out of honors class for cheating

School Kicks cheating honors student out of honors class

wish it was clear cut, but dad is suing due to conflicting policies. Ok why does a school have a cheating policy like that? Cheating is cheating, once caught should be punished, especially in honors. At least he wasn't expelled but since he did cheat in honors class and broke the pledge he signed I see it as he was knocked out of a tough class and back to the rest of the student pace.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

If the kid is so dumb that he has to copy someone else's essay to pass, then he's too dumb to be in honors anyway.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think the punishment should be upheld. That kid should learn not to cheat while he's in high school, because if you get caught cheating in college, you can get into some really deep shit.

Comment

There is such thing as second chances in a lot of cases. But somehow, cheating on school work should not be one of those cases.

Comment

I don't get it...if the rules clearly say he gets a second chance, what's the problem?

I'd be arson-level-pissed if someone did that to me or my kid. Seems the school is the one cheating now.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
            I don't get it...if the rules clearly say he gets a second chance, what's the problem?

I'd be arson-level-pissed if someone did that to me or my kid. Seems the school is the one cheating now.
            It's because he doesn't deserve a second chance. The kid is obviously too stupid to be in a honors class.

The dad and son will win if they pursue it because of the rule but they are still retarded. And the school needs to change that stupid policy for future incidents.
            Last edited by Greenday; 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

This could go either way. It's just a matter of interpretation, and which rule takes precedence. The Honors Cheating policy, which the students read and sign, can be read to take precedence over the one-free-pass rule, which applies to everyone without their knowing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                This could go either way. It's just a matter of interpretation, and which rule takes precedence. The Honors Cheating policy, which the students read and sign, can be read to take precedence over the one-free-pass rule, which applies to everyone without their knowing about it.

If the student only had to sign the form which stated the second rule ("You cheat, you're out"), then that's the one that will be upheld. If he signed both forms, then it gets a bit foggy.

What you sign takes precedence.

Comment

If the pledge is a kicker to the basic policy then the punishment should stand.

Most likely, the second chance rule applies to regular classes. If the kid needs to cheat then he has no business in an honors course anyway.

Comment

I know it's not the same, but like...US law, the larger body, trumps state law, the smaller body. The school law trumps the classroom law. Or something like that.

I just hate it when they do this. Yet again, some asshole with a big power trip has made it so he can enforce the rules tot he letter when he feels like fucking someone, and then backing off and saying "oh no, they're just guidelines" when it might be inconvenient for him.

Comment

I know it's not the same, but like...US law, the larger body, trumps state law, the smaller body. The school law trumps the classroom law. Or something like that.

I just hate it when they do this. Yet again, some asshole with a big power trip has made it so he can enforce the rules tot he letter when he feels like fucking someone, and then backing off and saying "oh no, they're just guidelines" when it might be inconvenient for him.
                      Except that's not how this works. This is a case of local law (the honors contract) being stricter than state law (the general school policy). Kinda like a local area can forbid alcohol sales on the weekends, for example, even if the state allows them.
                      "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
                      A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Ah. I see the difference there.

However, does the stricter rule specifically say he's kicked out for cheating? There's a difference between signing "I swear I will not cheat" and signing "I understand I will be kicked out if I cheat."

Comment

I don't know if anyone else interpreted it as such, but the rule that the dad's contesting concerns "2 strikes and you're out of the SCHOOL" whereas the son got kicked out of JUST the honours program. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by that article
                            ...goes against the "honesty pledge" students sign at the beginning of the class, making it explicitly clear that any cheating will result in expulsion from honors courses.
                            Pretty clear cut to me! Kid gets kicked out of the honours class for cheating - what's the problem??
                            ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

The problem is, as it seems anyway, that the school is violating its own rules. Maybe not. Maybe I'm missing the part where the honors program contract says "kicked out of the class for cheating".

ANd yeah, anyone arguing for the kid sounds pretty immature and stupid, right? And with a big fat sense of entitlement?

That's exactly how the rule mongers sound to me. Stupid, immature, and with a big fat sense of entitlement that somehow allows them to play god with the rulebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X