No announcement yet.

Credit cards and ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the chip requiring the pin makes the card more secure (because seriously who can tell the difference between signatures) all of the chip credit cards are now coming with a wireless payment method that does not require pin or signature at all, and when ever I ask about it they keep telling me how secure the chip and pin is. it's called a shell game.

Comment

my store checks for id on certian perchase types. (giftcards in excess of $100, or perscriptions in high dollar or scammable value)
      if someone doesnt want to show their id, that's fine, whether it's because their CC company allows it or not. they can pay with something else if they don't want to show it, or i'll gladly void the transaction.
      our right, as a business, is to accept payments in our prefered format. so if we say cash only on XYZ, well it's cash only. if our policy is cash only without id, that's our policy. we have the right to refuse service to people that don't want to follow our policy.
      any frankly, i don't see why anyone should have a problem with showing ID. we ask to protect YOU! as long as you are the cardowner, you have nothing to worry about. it takes 2 seconds, and arguing with the clerk takes so much longer.

also: Tap-cards, the wireless payment. i don't see the card at all, they just bang it against the machine. that's totally safe *eyeroll*
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I will not, until the technology is far more secure, use any form of non-swipe payment method.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The psycho my mom used to work for once had her credit card yoinked and used in a nearby mall to buy a few grand in sports gear. This card was one of the ones that has a photo on it. She was a sixty-something white female. The clown who managed to buy the stuff was a black gangsta wannabe who couldn't have been older than 20. In that case (photo on the card) there's no excuse for not checking.

I'm not 'allowed' to refuse a card due to "See ID" on the back; I know it's technically not valid, but the one time I did so I got complained at.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Are you in the clear if you sign the back of the card AND write "See ID" at the end of the signature line?

Comment

Welp, my hotel is boned. We check EVERYONE'S ID. Especially cash guests. But I wonder if we're exempt since it's not technically selling, we're renting to them.

Comment

"See ID" along with a signature should be fine as the signature obligation has been fulfilled.
                "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

i was trying to read through the merchant thing. it almost reads like if you post your conditions regarding credit card use (minimum/ maximum values, etc) for the customers to see, than it counts as a standard. i'm wondering if posting a "we check id" would count under those rules. hurm. wish i read legalese better lol.

edit: it also makes it sound like you can ask for id, but the cardhorlder has a right to refuse UNLESS it's because the card is unsigned. the merchant can ask for ID if the signature they made on the slip is not the same as the one on the back of the card as well. (sections 8:3:2 http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...ual_public.pdf )

everyone i've seen say they can't quotes this part:

Cardholder Identification
                  A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely
                  because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment
                  of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information,
                  except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may
                  require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is
                  required to complete the transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A
                  merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address
                  Verification Service (AVS) may require the cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to
                  complete a cardholder-activated terminal (CAT) transaction, or the cardholder’s
                  address and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or
                  e-commerce transaction.

but, and bolded for referance, that id can be checked if it is part of the standards. so, unsigned cards or non-matching signatures would fall into those exemptions.
                  Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM.
                  All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                    Welp, my hotel is boned. We check EVERYONE'S ID. Especially cash guests. But I wonder if we're exempt since it's not technically selling, we're renting to them.
                    Your hotel is probably OK. My understanding is that the merchant agreement prohibits merchants requiring customers to show ID as a condition of accepting the card. Since your hotel requires ID from everyone regardless of method of payment, you're not singling out cardholders. Think about it - would a liquor store get in trouble from the credit card company for IDing its customers, when the ID check is done regardless of method of payment, because it's not a check to see if it's actually the customer's credit card, but done for a different purpose (age verification)?

Comment

Working...
                    X