Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

parents put kid into washing machine. joke gone fucked up wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about this story when I did my laundry on Tuesday.

While there, I noticed a couple of things.

The first, is that there are warning notices on the front of every single machine warning not to stick your hand in while the drum is spinning (with a rather comical image of an arm broken off partway down), and also that they are dangerous and to never get inside of one (or, by extension, put someone else inside one).

The other thing I noticed was that ever single machine also had a red STOP button on the front, along with the controls for temperature, extra cycles, etc. I've never pressed one, but I'm fairly certain that doing so would do pretty much exactly what one would expect it to do.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

David says Sandra, the babysitter, had told her he had fallen down two stairs.
      That made me think of a line from the 1990 movie Kindergarten Cop.

John Kimble (Arnold Schwarzenegger's character) was confronting the mother of an abused child. She claimed that her son had fallen down some stairs, and he angrily retorted, "Yeah, that's what they all say. The kid fell down the stairs. The kid fell down the stairs. Can't you think of anything better to say than that?"

And then, in one of the greatest moments of that film, Kimble shoved the boy's abusive father up against his car and told him, "You hit the kid again, and I hit you!"

Well, hopefully, the babysitter and her friend will get what's coming to them.
      "Well, the good news is that no matter who wins, you all lose."

Comment

No machine I've encountered worked without payment, except domestic washing machines that is.
        The washers I used were not big enough for anyone larger than a baby, but the dryers, an adult could fit in one of those let alone a child.
        Again neither would start or magnetically lock without payment upfront, they don't open Laundrettes for free you know.

There is too much premeditated in this story, even if it was as innocuous as they planned to use the machine right after the stunt, the fact that you should by now know machines don't do this for free and short of a malfunction, cash must have been inserted to get the ball rolling.

edit:
        the youtube link has bee nuked (no surprise) and the news one is heavily edited for time so the guy passing just sees the couple looking into the machine if I was at that vantage point I would just assume they closed the door too soon or left a wallet in there.
        Short of OMG I put da baby in de machine ! derp

They must have put in cash and selected the options first as she was sorting out what to put in next at the time, although I do that last.

And it is huge again if I was in there, I would probably be no where near their line and have a book/puzzle and music on so I would be oblivious.
        Last edited by Ginger Tea; 05-24-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Well, yeah, the fact that it was a babysitter and her boyfriend does change things slightly.

It was probably still just a brain fart moment, but to compound it by lying to the mother?
          That's inexcusable.
          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

The other thing I noticed was that ever single machine also had a red STOP button on the front, along with the controls for temperature, extra cycles, etc. I've never pressed one, but I'm fairly certain that doing so would do pretty much exactly what one would expect it to do.
            The ones where I live don't have those that I've seen. I haven't read the labels inside the doors but the warnings on the machine tops are just about not over-filling them with soap.

Though our maintenance men here have keys that unlock the controls so they can open a door, or let laundry go through an extra spin cycle.

though... i'm use to using electricity. so i'm apt to look for breakers or to just pull things out from the wall to unplug if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
              The ones where I live don't have those that I've seen. I haven't read the labels inside the doors but the warnings on the machine tops are just about not over-filling them with soap.
              Are you talking about front loaders or top loaders?

Front loaders usually have a clear window and don't have any labels at all inside the door. The reason for the stop button is that the door locks when the cycle starts so that you can't pull it open and flood the room, but you may still want to stop the process part-way through.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X