Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linguist View Post
    and there it is. however you want to backpedal after the fact,
    Not actually trying to backpedal my argument isn't against stay at home dads for a simple fact. Most people refer to stay at home dads as any of the following, lazy, not a real man, a deadbeat, etc.

It's stay at home moms that are praised for choosing to be stay at home moms. Also my argument isn't so much against the fact they are stay at home parents as I shouldn't have to respect them more and consider them more noble than the working parents I know.

Yes I have had that argument with people. I said it was awesome that my friend was able to get a day off work to volunteer in her kid's classroom and immediately I had to hear a combination of how much better a mom she would be if she would stay home.

How she can't really be a good mom if she has to work a job. How she is shorting her kid by not always being home. These coming from people telling me how it's a noble profession.

Also drives me nuts when someone happens to be female and excitedly talks about the PhD she worked damn hard to get and is told, "Yeah but that's nothing wait until you have kids and quit your job so you can do the real important work" oh and she was told this by a woman.

So yes it may seem I am being sexist because I am not arguing that stay at home dads shouldn't be treated as all noble but the thing is most people aren't arguing that they are.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 07-18-2012, 03:07 AM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      Also drives me nuts when someone happens to be female and excitedly talks about the PhD she worked damn hard to get and is told, "Yeah but that's nothing wait until you have kids and quit your job so you can do the real important work" oh and she was told this by a woman.
      I get that a lot. It's incredibly offensive. It takes years of hard work to earn a degree. It would probably offensive if I said, "Writing a dissertation is harder than raising a child" but honestly..that's how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        I get that a lot. It's incredibly offensive. It takes years of hard work to earn a degree. It would probably offensive if I said, "Writing a dissertation is harder than raising a child" but honestly..that's how I feel.
        I will agree that the people making those statements are dicks, however, I don't think you can really compare writing a dissertation to raising a child. They're two totally separate experiences. You need different skills for each of them, and they have different time frames. Writing a dissertation is incredibly complicated, meticulous work, but, for most people, it is over within five years. Raising a child might not be as focused on the details, but it takes an average of eighteen years to do.

I really do think they're apples and oranges.

Comment

Working...
        X