Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many olympic sports?

So sayeth a douchebag

The guy is arguing that the Olympics is getting too "bloated" because we'll be growing to 28 sports in the next Olympics (not this one).

I swear this happens every Olympiad...someone starts bagging the Olympics, arguing that they're too "bloated" or similar, or begging for them to cut certain sports. Usually the ones they want cut are synchronized swimming/diving, rhythmic gymnastics, tennis and rhythmic gymnastics.

Personally? I can see them cutting tennis and soccer/football (there are several tournaments held throughout the year for both). Rhythmic gymnastics does require a great degree of skill, it is not just simply dancing around with a ribbon/clubs/hoop/ball (since they're dropping out rope). Synchronized swimming I'm a bit borderline on as I HAVE seen it in action and frankly it's more confusing than anything.

Frankly, I would like to see MORE sports.

Specifically I would like to see some form of MMA as a returned form of Pankration.

Comment

What I want them to cut out are all the useless sob stories about the athletes and how hard they worked and their parents' sacrifice and the sister with bone cancer and blah blah blah. Look, I want to watch the most talented athletes in the world do what they do best. This isn't a play. I don't need any exposition.

Comment

I'm all for cutting out the "human interest" bits and just showing the actual sports.

And synchronized swimming is hard as hell to do well. But it's hard to score if you don't know the rules because there's no direct competition and a certain level of artistic meritry involved.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I can't wait for full contact Hokey Pokey in the 2016 games!!!
          When you put it in it stays in until it's knocked out!!!
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
            Frankly, I would like to see MORE sports.

Specifically I would like to see some form of MMA as a returned form of Pankration.
            Bring back gladiator arenas!

Would watch.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              What I want them to cut out are all the useless sob stories about the athletes and how hard they worked and their parents' sacrifice and the sister with bone cancer and blah blah blah. Look, I want to watch the most talented athletes in the world do what they do best. This isn't a play. I don't need any exposition.
              they cut out all this crap in Australia...well, most of the time. If they're doing rolling coverage, they might do a brief human interest segment between sports, but usually it might be a catch-up with an ex-Olympian for whatever reason. Most of the human interest stuff comes AFTER the Olympics, not during. (and yes, sports, not events). Sometimes they'll make mention of certain snippets of human interest information, but it becomes part of the commentary (for example, that so-and-so is only 15 and her parents worked so hard blah blah blah)

Comment

but But BUT then Quidditch could never become be an Olympic sport WAAAAHHHHHHH

and yes some are really trying to do this. Heck there is already a real Quidditch World Cup and such. 25 countr5ies and 700 - 800 teams just can't be wrong

Quidditch World Cup to be held in Kissimmee FL next year

and yes there is a dedicated group that is trying to get Quidditch into the Olympics
                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

So planning to fast-forward through the sob stories. Not interested.

Also putting in a vote for more more MORE sports!!

Though if that means giving more power to the fucking bullies that are LOCOG - F that S!! But that's another rant in itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                    I can't wait for full contact Hokey Pokey in the 2016 games!!!
                    I'm still waiting on Xtreme Chess, myself.

Or what about Calvin Ball?
                    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I agree with the 'More Sports' suggestion. Maybe get some more sports that are, at the very least, slightly LESS biased towards ridiculously wealthy countries? Like, Olympic Tug of War used to be athing.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
                        I'm still waiting on Xtreme Chess, myself.

Or what about Calvin Ball?
                        Psh. Kosho is where its at.

Comment

How about that Incan/Aztec (can't remember which one it was, sorry) ball game with the I shaped court, and the losers got decapitated ^^

I love the concept of gladitorial contests, a sandy arena with professional fighters, where the fighters are categoried depending on their arms and armour. I want to look up the Roman one and make a professional game in a smilar vein (without the death!) for my worldbuilding project...

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
                            Psh. Kosho is where its at.
                            You've obviously never played tiddlywinks with weapons grade winks.
                            Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                              How about that Incan/Aztec (can't remember which one it was, sorry) ball game with the I shaped court, and the losers got decapitated ^^
                              From what I understand, it was the winners who were sacrificed. I mean if you're going to offer something to the gods, you don't want it to be shit, right?
                              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                              X