No announcement yet.

Family returns home to find it sold to Squatters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the reason tenants are referenced is that the process used is the same, due to the fact that a tenancy muts be ended prior to eviction starting. Eviction is the process of getting someone who isn't supposed to be in the home out.

and by the way, squatters never have the 'right' to be there. squatters live in a house without the permission of the legal owner. Adverse Possession (which is what was claimed in the case of the OP by the squatters, BTW) is the process by which squatters can become the legal holders of the squatted property (it takes something like 15 years AFAIK, the idea being that the legal owner clearly doesn't care someone is living in the property, so they lose it.)

Comment

The homeowners just got screwed AGAIN. They had obtained an eviction order but before it was carried out one of the squatters filed for bankruptcy.

Evidently you can't evict someone when a bankruptcy filing is pending.

So the squatters have probably just bought themselves up to another year in the house.

Comment

Holy shit. That settles it. I'm never taking vacations. And if I do I'll booby trap the house Kevin McAllister style.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          Holy shit. That settles it. I'm never taking vacations. And if I do I'll booby trap the house Kevin McAllister style.
          I had one of my customers offer me money to go in and check their house and feed their cat. I told him I couldn't take nor talk about the offer while on the clock. Off the clock I was able to get some keys and instead of money was able to take my lunches within their AC. The mail was brought in every day, the house was checked every day, the cat fed and played with twice a day (she was so cute I couldn't resist stopping in, in the evening to check on her), and they didn't have to worry about someone trying to sneak in.

Comment

Working...
          X