An interesting contempt case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting contempt case

A 65-year-old millionaire has been jailed for 180 days for contempt of court - for giving concent for his 16-year-old son to marry.

Background. The boy's parents are divorcing. At the request of his wife, the judge ordered the boy to be enrolled in Logan River Academy, a facility for "Troubled Teens". Boy did not want to go. Dad did not want son to go.

So, the day after the son's 16th, Dad took him and his housemaid's daughter to Vegas and gave permission for them to wed.

Now wed, the boy is now considered emancipated, and not subject to the judge's order.

Judge throws a hissy fit[1], and jails the dad for contempt.

Link

[1] poetic licence on my part...

According to this, they did go to the school and they rejected him. I wish we had proof either way.

Comment

I'm intrigued by the fact that the boy was married nearly two years ago, and they're throwing the dad in jail for contempt now?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm actually surprised that the anti-gay-marriage crowd aren't up in arms over this since marriage is sacred and all that

Comment

There feels like there is more to it than that though. I mean really it feels more like "I forced my kid to get married so his mom can't legally tell him what to do."

The judge throwing contempt at him especially two years after the fact seems more like, 'This guy did something highly unethical and potentially damaging to other people but not illegal how do we penalize him for it."

It doesn't say the guy made it so his son and son's loving girlfriend could get married it says son and the daughter of one of the guy's maids.

We don't have all the facts but if that is what happened then yeah the guy deserves Contempt at the least.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

From reading the article linked, it almost sounds like it's the father's attitude that got him locked up for contempt.

Blake then ends the exchange on a sarcastic note: “Okay. Gee, it’s a shame they got married so quickly and had to be apart.”
            ETA
            Whoops.... my bad... Blake is the Judge. WTF? Now I'm really confused as to what was going on in that court room
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are far too many factors at play here for anyone to really know why who did what.

For all we know, the kid was acting out due to the "long-running" nature of the divorce and doesn't have the mental issues that would require he attend a specialized boarding school.

Or the dad chose to have him marry not so much to get away from the boarding school order as to vacate the joint custody issue (and likely attendant support payments).

What I'd really be interested in knowing is how the kid is doing in school (or if he's even attending) now that he's legally an adult and if he's still suffering from the same type of ADHD and anti-authority issues as prior.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X