Can we post Anti-Social Woes here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we post Anti-Social Woes here?

No, that doesn't sound right. Would they be Social Anti-Woes?

Anyway, the most reasonable, civil and polite Cease & Desist letter ever.

Summary : Author commissions a book cover - bases it heavily on the classic Jack Daniels brand.

JD send a letter explaining that their brand is important, and they must defend it. As such, they'd be much obliged if for the next print run, the author commissioned a different cover. Oh, and they'd be happy to chip in for the costs involved.

When did sanity return to the world? I might just have to go and buy a bottle of JD to celebrate.

Damn; that's classy.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Not to mention they just increased the value of the first run exponentially. If they have to change the cover then the original cover becomes more valuable because it can't ever be re released.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

It's a pretty blatant ripoff of the JD brand. No doubt about that. Just nice to see them start out in a kind, polite manner.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Wow. Man. I hope this catches on. This is a wonderful little dose of sanity in this world.

Comment

The thing that gets me is that it would have been so simple to do a *similar* design without duplicating the exact pattern of lines.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I know! I had to check over and over again that this wasn't a fake or a hoax and I'm still waiting for the HAHA to come!! It's wonderful ^^

Comment

Very classy. I don't drink, so instead I'll raise my can of Vanilla Coke in salute.

The US Olympic Committee could learn a thing or two.

Comment

so wait? JD offered to pay for the cost of changing the cover?

Although I think that's very polite of them... I find it interesting. Mainly because I know of many other products that pay homage to the JD logo. Hell there's even a military shirt sold here that's printed with a JD-like logo. Granted it's not really "for profit" since the profit of military items goes towards specific funds, but... why a book and not everyone else too?

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post

Although I think that's very polite of them... I find it interesting. Mainly because I know of many other products that pay homage to the JD logo. Hell there's even a military shirt sold here that's printed with a JD-like logo. Granted it's not really "for profit" since the profit of military items goes towards specific funds, but... why a book and not everyone else too?
                    Who knows if this is a PR stunt by Jack Daniels and/or the author. It certainly caused some buzz and both JD and the author are benefiting from some publicity from it.

Of course, in a few weeks, nobody will know how to buy the book because they won't recognize the cover.

I know there have been cases in the past of strange trademark issues. The 1970s band Chicago was originally called Chicago Transportation Authority before the CTA actually sued them to change it. I really don't understand cases like these because I thought trademarks were mostly enforceable within one's industry or similar industries. Books/Liquor and Public Transportation/Music Bands are both very dissimilar.

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post

Did they pay royalties to use the logo? Perhaps that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                        I really don't understand cases like these because I thought trademarks were mostly enforceable within one's industry or similar industries. Books/Liquor and Public Transportation/Music Bands are both very dissimilar.
                        It's mostly a matter of precedent. If nobody is allowed to use your trademark, then you can just work with C&D letters - much less hassle legally. If you allow one or more entities to use the trademark, because you figure you don't care about some books, then any future entity you *do* want to keep from using your trademark can point to that exception and say, "But he's allowed to use it! You're discriminating against me!" - a lot more legal hassle.
                        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Working...
                        X