Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting, if disturbing, graph.

From here.

Apparently, the amount of garbage produced is a very close match to the state of the economy overall. Over 80% correlation.

Such a drop in the amount of stuff thrown away is not encouraging...

That makes sense. When people buy new stuff it often is replacing something old which is thrown out. Plus, you can see how 2008 really screws things up, since when you're moving to a new house, especially, you spend a lot of time throwing old stuff out of the basement and attic, etc.

That 3QTD average confuses me, though... We are only in the middle of the third quarter, so is that -30% because it's just not finished, or did they make an adjustment to account for the fact we're only halfway through? If it's the former, I find that very intellectually dishonest.

Comment

Either replacing something old or buying disposable items in the first place; for instance, fast food involves a lot of trash generation, while making a sandwich at home because you don't have the money for Arby's does not.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
      X