One more thing we seemed to have not gotten past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more thing we seemed to have not gotten past

The Summer Oylimpic games are currently going on in London with a record number of women in the ranks, this STILL happens:

Girl Power.... NOT really

The article points out how female athelites are STILL being judged on their appearence NOT their ability in the arena/track/games.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I'd have to agree. It seems to be that while men can wear whatever they want and it's not an issue, women's uniforms always seem to be a tight two-piece bikini of sorts.

Comment

The comments on Gabby's hair are absolutely absurd. Why can't we focus on the accomplishments of this amazingly talented and hard working young woman instead of her hair?

Comment

Fortunately the commentators down here don't REALLY care too much about appearance, although a similar article always pops up.

The ONLY sports I can understand the skimpy-ass uniforms for are:

-Gymnastics (men and women).
        -Swimming, Diving, Synchronized Swimming and Water Polo (gotta love FINA rules)
        -possibly the pole vault and high jump (safety reasons).
        -Cycling and triathlon (cycling for "safety" reasons, while triathlon would reduce drag)

Those are theONLY sports I can think of justifying the need for a skimpy uniform. At least with gymnastics, the option is there to wear a sleeved or sleeveless leotard for the women and men wear shorts for floor and vault.

As for the rest of the events, it's not really needed. We don't need skimpy women in the short running events (everything up to 800m). We DEFINITELY don't need the skimpy outfits for beach volleyball. at least the hockey players aren't as bad...

Comment

The swimsuits I've seen so far are modest one-pieces for the ladies and knee-length, albeit skin tight, trunks for the men. Honestly, I haven't seen any skimpy uniforms outside of beach volleyball.

Did you see the picture of the men's rowing team? They're subject to objectification as well.

Comment

The women in beach volleyball do it to themselves. The rules were changed and they dont need to wear bikinis. Ive only seen one person bitch about it.

Women's soccer is the only sport i follow religiously in the olympics. Lots oof women from New Jersey.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              The women in beach volleyball do it to themselves.
              This is true. Apparently, they feel that bikinis are the most comfortable option for beach volleyball.

Article at Deadspin

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In the ancient Olympics games the participants were nude, naked, nekkid in their birthday suits. Ironic???
                Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                  In the ancient Olympics games the participants were nude, naked, nekkid in their birthday suits. Ironic???
                  From the wikipedia article on the topic (emphasis added):

The athletes usually competed nude, not only as the weather was appropriate, but also as the festival was meant to celebrate, in part, the achievements of the human body. Olive oil was used by the competitors, not only as a substitute for soap for washing, bathing, and cleaning, but also as a natural cosmetic, to keep skin smooth, and provide an appealing look for the participants.

One point of note here is to mention that at that time in history, all of the participants I believe would have been male.

You'll also notice that the ancient games were to celebrate the achievements of the human body, NOT to appear as sexy as possible. I'm reasonably certain the Ancient Greeks weren't as hung up or as reactive to image as we are today.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
                    One point of note here is to mention that at that time in history, all of the participants I believe would have been male.
                    Yep, that's ancient Greece alright. >.>

In the fairness of full disclosure, the comments directed at Gabby we're coming from other black women. As I recall, Michelle Obama got a similar grilling over her hair. Stupid yes, but stupid from the team that should be supporting them foremost.

Serena's controversy doesn't have anything to do with her appearence ( Merely her questionable choice in dance moves ).

The root of Lolo's seems to be one article from the New York times written by a complete dipshit + the fact she's been openingly talking about her virginity vs posing on magazine covers dressed only in Olympic ribbons. I'm not saying she deserves athe criticism of course, only that the Internet is a terrible place full of terrible people and talking about your virginity all the time on the world stage will get you a terrible response. Regardless of gender.

Allison Schmitt, whatever the alleged problem the author mentions it doesn't even register as a blip on the news cycle. Which is dominated entirely but how awesome she is and how much of a wonderful person she is. -.-

Honestly, the author missed a good opportunity to openly discuss Saudi Arabia's treatment of women by just using Shaherkani in her article as little more than a prop to act self righteous over. Because Shaherkani's problems are totally in league with people picking on Gabby's hair style.

But hey, Fox Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      The swimsuits I've seen so far are modest one-pieces for the ladies and knee-length, albeit skin tight, trunks for the men. Honestly, I haven't seen any skimpy uniforms outside of beach volleyball.

Did you see the picture of the men's rowing team? They're subject to objectification as well.
                      hence my comment about FINA rules. In 2010, they instituted a ban on the sharkskin type suits (the full length ones) and now the rule is strictly "modest knee-to-shoulder one-piece suits for the women and trunks for the men.

As for the Saudi Arabia thing, I actually was very proud when I saw an article about how they were all cheering on the Saudi Arabian woman who competed in the 800m(I think?) and although she came in so far behind, she was hailed as a legend.

Comment

Honestly, my problem with it is that it seems like she's upset that there is a Saudi runner who's female is being celebrated as a victory, but things aren't magically better, and we shouldn't act like it is.

No, but that IS a victory. A small victory. And there's a lot left to come. BUT. A victory nonetheless.

Small victories need to be celebrated too. I think she's seeing a sort of false dilemma.

Either we celebrate this, and ignore the other problems, or we keep condemning and don't discuss small steps until true equality is achieved.

I don't think that his has to be a two-way thing. I think we can say that this IS a major step, without going from there to say "And thus we don't need to talk about the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia."

She pays a little lip-service to how brave the runner is, but portrays 'back home' as there being nothing but condemnation for her being the #prostituteoftheOlympics.

Yes. There IS condemnation. A lot more than there is celebration. But every step is a step, and people will see it, and be inspired to make their own, additional steps.

A woman running a race she can't win isn't big. For us, here, in America, it looks like nothing has changed. She came in last.

But losers can still be inspiration. People back home will see her being there at all. And some will ignore it. But maybe a few will see something that says, hey, we can do things too.

And think of all those people who are upset about there being a woman at the Olympics back home in Saudi Arabia. I mean, all those people who are angry, insulting her... I don't think they're insulting her because they just pulled her name out of a hat.

She's a threat. She's an attack on the idea that men can excel and women can't. The fact that she's there at all, even coming in last, is proof that women can be SOMEONE.

And to a structure where women aren't even allowed to leave the house

The insults to Allison, Serena, Gabby, and every other woman at the games are disgraceful. Yeah, that's true.

But they are in a totally different situation than the Saudi women.

Attacks on Allison, Serena, Gabby, and Lolo are coming from a culture that sees women as SEX objects. Thus, their sexuality MUST be discussed!

Attacks on Sheherkani aren't coming from a culture that sees women as if their sexual worth is their primary value, but a culture that sees women as if sex is their ONLY value. Men in America, Great Britain, etc all KNOW that women can be intelligent, that women can be powerful.

They don't come from a culture that knows women CAN accomplish things, and is just dismissing them. They come from a culture that keeps saying that women can't accomplish ANYTHING.

Seeing women in America do something is a joke. It's funny.

Okay, not really, but that's where the attacks come from. Women not wanting to be the perfect feminine ideal? Cute. But harmless.

In Saudi Arabia, it's not cute-but-harmless. It's an upsetting of the natural order of things.

In America, it's a joke. In Saudi Arabia, it's a threat.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

@Hyena Dandy: Kudos. Very well put.
                          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Working...
                          X