Black People and Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black People and Tipping

As many of you know, I have worked in the food service industry for many, many years. Within that industry, there are certain stereotypes of various groups of people. One of which is that black people, as a rule, tip like shit.

This is both true and false.

Just like white people, some blacks tip great, some tip lousy, or not at all.

What I've personally noticed over the years, though, is that it's not about white or black (or other skin colors), but about socioeconomic/educational status. Uneducated black people who talk "ghetto" tip like shit. So do uneducated white and Hispanic people who talk "ghetto" or "dumb redneck" or the like.

However, educated people of all races tend to tip on the more acceptable level. Among educated people, both behavior within the establishment and level of tipping are far superior to those of the uneducated group, race notwithstanding.

So, while a lot of servers (black servers often included) will often mentally curse their luck when they get a group of black people, I have no problem with it, especially if it's clear that they are of a higher educational level. However, when I start hearing "yo yo yo" and "Come on, G" and "Can y'all tell me how much yoor swait tay is?" I know I'm fucked.

And it has nothing to do with skin color.

It has to do with class.

Has anyone else noticed this? For that matter, does anyone disagree with this? If so, can you refute it?

Eek! at the last example: anyone with any business saying "y'all" knows it's always, ALWAYS plural!
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      Eek! at the last example: anyone with any business saying "y'all" knows it's always, ALWAYS plural!
      As a man from the south: No it isnt. "y'all" is commonly used in both the singular and plural, and before anyone jumps in about how thats not grammatically correct, I would like to point out: "y'all" is not a word whatsoever. Its entire existence is grammatically incorrect.

But back OT, I find this is the norm from when I worked tech support as well. I dreaded hearing serious ghetto or trailer park slang, and loved business type people, because they tended to be more informative of the issue and actually do what I say.

Comment

"Y'all" is a contraction of "you all" and, as noted, that "you" can be singular or plural depending on the situation.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          "Y'all" is a contraction of "you all" and, as noted, that "you" can be singular or plural depending on the situation.

^-.-^
          Yes, but "all" is an inclusive, indicatin that there is more than on "you" coloquialisms don't have to make sense.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Back on topic, I fully agree with your assessment, Jester.

It's been awhile since I've waited tables and/or bartended, but I knew I was royally fucked if any of the 'patrons' had a grill or similarly gold teeth, spoke in an overly 'ebonic' manner, or carried on about the price of a 'sway-et tee'. Oh, and rattling their empty 'sway-et tee' at me shouting 'hey you' was never a good sign that I was going to somehow garner a decent tip.

You're totally correct, educated patrons tipped appropriately across all races. The uneducated buffoons like you described either didn't know better, or knew better and just didn't give a shit. Probably a 50/50 split on that score.

Comment

I agree and disagree with you Jester.

Now remember that each person's experience is different and your mileage will vary.

I agree that the socio-ecomonic status of a person does affect their tipping habits BUT with black people there seems to be more consistancy (in my experience) in NOT tipping no matter what level they are at.

my town has a wide enough dispersion of income levels with people of all races. as in the "getto" to 3/4 million dollar McMansions. in my experience I have a 95% probability of getting stiffed no matter what the ecomonic level of the person is when they are black. Yes there are exceptions to this "rule" (as in I have gotten great and outstanding tips from black people but that is a rare bird indeed). unfortuneately most of the black stiffers (and I know this is a stereotype but a true one) that we drivers get is during Welfare Week (the first 7 days of every month)

as for Hispanics and those of Asian decent I again have a mix in my area. unfortuneately Hispanics and Asians are more likely to stiff me as well no matter their ecomonic level or level of "getto-ness". This includes all age groups as well.

On the other side in my area it seems to be a toss up as far as "education level/higher ecomonic level" I have gotten $10 tips from the getto and 0 from 3/4 million dollar McMansions

The one strange thing I have noticed is that if a household has a black male and a white female whether it is SO/drug dealer/fuckbuddy/one night stand(esp with little rug rats running around) the white female tends to stiff more often.

The other group most of us delivery driver dislike is one you did not mention -- senior citizens. they tend to pull out the "I am on a fixed income ya know" thing when they want their 2 cents change back.
              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I've read many-a reddit thread from waiters saying the same thing about blacks/Hispanics.

As a Southerner, and one with an accent, I tip pretty well (15-20%, unless it's bad service). But if I think you're looking down on me because of my accent, or if I have an empty glass of sweet tea on the table for an extended period of time, that does go down.

And, at least in my neck of the woods, 'y'all' is only ever used as a plural.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

As a Southerner, and one with an accent, I tip pretty well (15-20%, unless it's bad service). But if I think you're looking down on me because of my accent, or if I have an empty glass of sweet tea on the table for an extended period of time, that does go down.
                  None from me. I have a slight one myself. And before I gave up sugar, I LOVED me some sweet tea. I only make fun of the ones who shook their glass at me and/or we're giving me shit about menu prices. As if *I* set them. I always knew right then I was going to get a shitty tip, even if I turned cartwheels.

Comment

Perhaps as the waiter is representing n organization, y'all is appropriate because they're not asking how much the WAITER'S ea is, but the restaurants.
                    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      I've read many-a reddit thread from waiters saying the same thing about blacks/Hispanics.

I'm in the same boat. I'm very much a redneck, I have a thick drawl. But I'm educated and a computer professional. I usually like to tip well. But again if I feel that some server is mentally deducting 50 IQ points just because I say "Y'all" or the service is shitty...I'm going to drop back to 10% or even less.

Although if I tip less I'll go to the manager and explain *why* I tipped poorly. I'll also go to the manager and report a really awesome server as well. Managers need that sort of feedback and often times do not get it.
                      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I was a bartender for the first 4 years I was here in Vegas and I experienced pretty much the same thing that Jester is talking about. The exception to the rule was that the men that acted lower class would tip a female bartender or cocktail server, while they continued to stiff the men. They'd put up the money to try and get the girl's attention. Pretty much the only time i'd see a tip, or at least a decent one, from one of these kind of people is if they're trying to impress someone with them or if they're trying to butter me up into giving them something extra.

The heavier gamblers tip more, regardless of race. The 30-50 year olds tend to tip more too, with drop offs above and below that bracket, almost like a bell curve.

A lot of people will tell you that hispanics, especially the migrant workers, don't tip. I found that if you talk to them and joke around with them, they'll throw money your way. Maybe it's in my favor for knowing Spanish?
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Migrant workers are used to gringos treating them like dirt. Treat them like human beings and you'll notice that they are (generally) really awesome people.

Comment

I suspect that this might also be affected by both a bit of confirmation bias (you don't notice the ones that don't conform as much as you notice the ones that support your conclusion) as well as the fact that if you even think about the likelihood, or lack thereof, of a tip before you've even brought out the food, then you will treat the people you think won't tip less well than you treat the ones you think will tip great.

It's one of those subtle effects of bias that I've got a whole ranty thread about on this very forum.

You don't intend to treat them any differently, but if you have any thoughts about them stiffing you, you will behave differently around them than around people who you don't think that way about. It's impossible not to. It's in your posture. The way you move. Your expressions. How you look at them.

And they will pick up on this. Not consciously. But they will be making the exact same judgments about you as a result of the judgments you've made about them.

Now, this doesn't really play out the same for delivery drivers, of course, as they don't really have much contact with the people they deliver to, but the confirmation bias still stands.

I'm guilty of it, myself. I've made judgments about groups that, upon actually logging the data, have turned out to be completely unfounded. I only thought I saw what I thought I saw because I believed that what I was seeing was a thing. Our minds are great at making connections; it doesn't really matter if those connections are valid.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              no that would be "all y'all", yes I am southern, yes I have an accent, no I don't talk like a goober unless exhausted or intoxicated, much to the amusement of anyone around me....
                              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                              X