Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this might be the reason...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think this might be the reason...

...for the big push to expand asset forfeiture laws?

Link

A state comptroller’s special investigation of West Tennessee’s 24th Judicial Drug Task Force turned up instances of theft by the agency’s administrative assistant and jail trustees smoking seized crack cocaine.

It also reveals that District Attorney General Hansel McCadams and Henry County Sheriff Monte Belew had a penchant for using a confiscated BMW Z-3 car for their personal use.
    Hey, if I got to take home flat-screen TVs and drive around in someone else's Beamer, I'd probably be looking to expand the gravy-train too.

This is exactly the sort of reason that forfeiture should be illegal. Fines, jail time, yes, if convicted. But forfeiture up front WITHOUT a conviction, or even a trial - is straight up police-state bullshit.

My mother owns houses that she uses as rental property. As an attorney, she understands the law, and it pisses her off that even a minor drug bust on her property - even a minor alleged drug bust - can result in her losing a house. For something that she has no knowledge of or control over.

Comment

I figured that the cops were doing this sort of thing for quite some time. I guess this proves it. And they wonder why so many people don't respect them.
      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I still have to believe that most cops are good people just doing thier job, but I am glad they caught these assholes.

Comment

Working...
        X