No announcement yet.

School forces deaf child to change the way he signs his name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teach him the proper way to sign school administration is idiot.

Seriously they need a brain transplant. Last time we saw something like this was when Levar Burton was in Roots.

Comment

At least Toby had a point to changing the name. To dehumanize someone. Take away their name, take away who they are.

Here they don't want to change HIM. They just don't like his name. >_<

What I'd guess is that someone saw it, thought he was making a gun sign, and he got in trouble. By the time it was explained to them, they were more interested in covering their asses than doing what they thought was 'right.'
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
        If that was me, I'd come up with a new way to sign my name for them myself. It involves a single finger.
        Not a bad idea.

Frankly, it's total bullshit on the school's part. It's crap like this that makes me glad I don't have children - I'd have already been locked up for stomping the living Hell out of either a teacher or principal or other school employee who wanted to "show their authoritai" around my child for no other reason than because they can.

What's next? Telling parents they can't name their sons Hunter b/c it may offend someone? They need to GTFU and get with the real world instead of trying to create a Namy-Pamby land and grow some skin!
        If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

By the logic presented by the school, they would also be banning the wiggles from ever playing in the school grounds at all because they do the finger wiggling thing with fingers extended...like a gun.
          (there is actually a reason why they do the finger wiggling move in photos with children...aside from being unique, it also covers their asses so that a child can't claim that the wiggles touched them in a naughty place)

Eta: also skimming through the comments, someone has pointed out that hunter isn't actually using American sign language he's using signed English. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't signed English falling out of favour with the deaf community, with a preference towards your own countries sign language?
          Last edited by fireheart17; 08-30-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
            Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't signed English falling out of favour with the deaf community, with a preference towards your own countries sign language?
            It is, however it's also used by some folks to introduce kids to signing. And who knows, since sign names are often letter and something that might be what it will be later.

Either way these types of stories tend to make schools review their policies. Zero tolerance like this can end up costing them.

Comment

My guess is...his name includes the letter "L", which in ASL is made by pointing the index finger up, curling all other fingers down, and the thumb stuck out, as to make an "L".

This is also a motion kids use to make a pretend-gun with their fingers, just pointed in a different direction.

Comment

Originally posted by EmiOfBrie View Post
                My guess is...his name includes the letter "L", which in ASL is made by pointing the index finger up, curling all other fingers down, and the thumb stuck out, as to make an "L".

This is also a motion kids use to make a pretend-gun with their fingers, just pointed in a different direction.
                IIRC Signed English (as opposed to ASL) has hunter (which is his name) close to the action a hunter does.

Comment

I've outline my reasons for why the school is in the wrong. Let me go over each bullet point with you.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    So.... *nobody's* going to take the side that says the school is being perfectly reasonable and rational in this?

(Don't look at me; my head hurts too much already to try bending it that way.)
                    Sorry, not even me and I like arguing the asshole position on nearly everything.
                    Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                    Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

I think someone needs to let the ACLU know about this.

Comment

Working...
                      X