Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my brain just broke...

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/societ...828-24yo6.html

Archbishop(?) argues that we should be going back to 19th century vows where women submitted to men.

Sorry, but there's no way in hell that I'm going to vow to submit to my husband. That's just wrong and sexist cuz it implies that men are superior.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I'd like to say this surprises me, but it hits all the cliches of grumpy fundies angry that people are more liberated from traditional roles.

Of course they'll say that they want to go back to God's ways, but I don't see any God telling people to do this. All I see are his so called followers trying to tell people what to do. And the sad thing, some people will just eat this up because he's a "man of god".

Comment

Another old white religious guy who feels that the world is going to hell because they don't have all the authority anymore.
        Poor him.

And the comments. Dear god, the comments.
        Apparently feminism is the cause for all the bad stuff in society right now. And that women are equal now and so they should just give up this silly movement.

Women have only just recently been allowed to be their own person and to be able to control their life, education, reproductive choices, and who they want to marry. They can also choose to divorce for personal or safety reasons. I shudder to think if women were forced back to a time when rape and domestic abuse were accepted in a marriage.

When/If I marry, there is no chance I would ever submit to my husband. We would be equal. Anything less is a spit in the face of both of us.
        "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
        Josh Thomas

Comment

Something similar was the last straw for the Baptist church I was then part of, pushing it to leave the SBC.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
            When/If I marry, there is no chance I would ever submit to my husband. We would be equal. Anything less is a spit in the face of both of us.
            QFFT. My wife and I have been married for 11 years now (another 7 as defacto), and I have always seen our marriage as a *partnership*, not a union.

She supports me in my endeavours, I support her in her own. We work together for the benefit of both us and our children.

If you are required to submit to your partner (beyond some exciting games behind closed doors when the kids are away with the grandparents...) then you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
              If you are required to submit to your partner (beyond some exciting games behind closed doors when the kids are away with the grandparents...) then you're doing it wrong.
              Damn, beat me to it.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Has the archbishop forgotten that the old testament says a rape victim must marry her rapist? Is that what he'd consider a strong marriage? The bible is just about the worst place to look for marriage advice. It's an archaic book written back when women were seen as nothing but baby carriers. (I mean that literally - back then, everyone thought that semen was what eventually became a baby, and that the woman's body was only a place for the baby to grow.)
                Last edited by Seifer; 08-30-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X