Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father smothers daughters before committing suicide

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...rincesses.html

This is the kind of thing that makes me lose even more faith in humanity. What kind of person would kill his own daughters, his own flesh and blood, out of nothing but pure spite against his ex? Not only that, but this guy also made a call to his ex to tell her that "the girls are sleeping forever". Then he commits suicide out of cowardice so that he doesn't have to face the punishment he deserves for his actions.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Abusive spouses are generally cowards and require complete control.

That's my hypothysis anyhow.
    The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

Comment

Somebody's been reading Medea....

Comment

Huh. This is the second thread where someone is disturbed enough to commit suicide and people call them cowards. This on the same board where people commiserated about their own suicidal thoughts in another thread, and I caught crap for apparently not understanding a family member and his issues, even though his were more complicated by substance abuse problems.

Look, this guy didn't do this out of cowardice or spite towards his ex. He did it because he was MENTALLY ILL. People who are of sound mind do not just kill themselves.

Comment

If what you say is true, then why kill the kids and ring his ex to tell her that he'd just done so? I'm sick and tired of people trying to whitewash the actions of evil people by saying that they were mentally ill. Not everyone who commits terrible acts is ill; some are evil.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I can only speculate as to why. Probably a plea for help. Look, according to witnesses in the article, he loved those kids too. It was a tragedy for everyone involved. I'm not saying there's not truly evil people in the world because there are. I am saying, though, that just painting people as evil without looking into the motivations for why they act the way they do, learning more about it and then using that knowledge to catch people in similar straits before they act is not effective. We want this sort of thing to stop? Then we need to stop looking at people as merely 2-dimensional flat characters. We need to have better mental health care the world around.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              Somebody's been reading Medea....
              What's that?
              The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

Comment

Originally posted by crazylegs View Post
                What's that?
                Greek mythology, Jason and the Argonauts? Medea was a sorceress who killed people, including her own brother, for love of Jason. When he dumped her, she killed their children to punish him. Medea got away with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia727 View Post
                  Greek mythology, Jason and the Argonauts? Medea was a sorceress who killed people, including her own brother, for love of Jason. When he dumped her, she killed their children to punish him. Medea got away with it though.
                  Yes. The only way Jason was able to steal the Golden Fleece, and get away with it, was with the help of Medea. She was a princess there, and she gave him medicines that allowed him to steal the Fleece. (Not going into the whole story here). Then she killed her brother, and as they sailed away, she chopped off bits and tossed them in the ocean. The ships pursuing them had to stop to gather up all the bits for burial.

Later on, Jason was offered the chance to marry Glauce, and he did so. Medea, in a rage, sent Glauce a poisoned wedding dress. After Glauce was killed, Medea then killed her own children. In the play by Euripides, she escapes by calling on Helios, the sun-god and one of her ancestors, to send down a chariot pulled by dragons.

Comment

I'm with AFPheonix on this one. I don't see where cowardice is shown here. The guy was obviously depressed as hell. Even when he told people about it, no one even tried to seriously help him. The way I see it, there were three murders here. Father killed his two daughters, then multiple people, to whom he confessed he wanted to kill himself, didn't do shit about what he told them and let him go right ahead with it. Knowing someone is planning suicide then not trying to really help them is almost as good as murder in my book.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

What the man did was just downright cowardly, spiteful and horrible. However, I will say that if those that knew him felt or knew that something was not right with him, they could've done more to reach out to him since he was depressed.
                      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        Knowing someone is planning suicide then not trying to really help them is almost as good as murder in my book.
                        One is a sin/crime of omission, the other is a sin/crime of comission. Very different situations, even assuming the other person took the would-be suicider seriously. Take his boss. The guy said "I'm thinking about ending it all." Boss: "Don't do that." Guy: "Just kidding." The boss could easily have heard that as the guy just being depressed and trying to be off-hand about it. Sure, in retrospect, the boss knows he wasn't kidding, but at the time? How was he to know the guy was getting that desperate?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia727 View Post
                          Take his boss. The guy said "I'm thinking about ending it all." Boss: "Don't do that." Guy: "Just kidding." The boss could easily have heard that as the guy just being depressed and trying to be off-hand about it. Sure, in retrospect, the boss knows he wasn't kidding, but at the time? How was he to know the guy was getting that desperate?
                          I don't know too many people that'd joke around about killing themselves. If he figured the guy was depressed, and he mentioned suicide, that should have at least set off a bell in his head.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

That's good for you, Greenday, but in my time I've heard at least ten people mention they want to commit suicide. None of them have ever been serious. I've never known anyone who has committed suicide. I've always taken appropriate courses of action when I've heard these claims and threats (mentioned it to my school counselors, talked to the person claiming, mentioned it to loved ones so that they could be on the look out and help), but I'm starting to feel a little desensitized to it. Not everyone is serious.

Comment

In my current job we deal with a lot of jobs entitled 'Concern for Welfare', generally where a person has said they will kill themselves and it falls to the police to go to there house, bash their door in (if they won't answer it) to make sure they're not lying in a pool of their own blood.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret here.

I only know of one job in nearly two years where a suicidal person who has threatened it has actually done it.

The huge, vast, massive majority of people who claim they will are yanking our chain, winding us up and desperate for attention and have no intention whatsoever of going through with the act.

So when someone says they are thinking of commiting suicide a pinch (bucket) of salt is taken, it's the people who become withdrawn, tidy the house and settle all the bills you have to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X