Full Disclosure in Real Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
    But what y'all are forgetting are those people out there who look for haunted places. Or places where famous/infamous murders take place. If a buyer with a morbid fascination for that type of thing found 2 houses they liked, both priced the same, etc., etc. and one had a murder/suicide/haunting and the other didn't the one with the "interesting" history would be bought by the buyer.
    Yes, they look for such places, but rarely they look to live in such places. And even the rare few that are it's a very small market that really isn't worth the effort to find them.

Comment

Would I be pissed finding out about a horrible death in a house I just bought? Yeeessss. Would I want to keep living there? Not sure, but I'd certainly find it creepy and upsetting.

What would piss me off the most? Knowing that I'd have a hard time reselling the place for what I paid. When I eventually went to sell the property, I could be truthfull and tank the price or I could avoid saying anything and hope some buyer didn't realize the history until too late.

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
        Would I be pissed finding out about a horrible death in a house I just bought? Yeeessss. Would I want to keep living there? Not sure, but I'd certainly find it creepy and upsetting.
        I know of one house in Clarksville, PA...that has a reputation like that. That would be the house where Jock Yablonski, his wife, and daughter...were violently killed on New Year's Eve in 1969. At the time, Yablonski was attempting to clean up the corruption in the coal miners' union. One of his opponents (Tony Boyle, who later died in prison), had him killed that night. Sadly, that wasn't the only brutal event that happened in the house--a state trooper was killed by a deranged gunman who had barricaded himself in the house about 30 years prior. Much earlier, was an Indian massacre in the 1770s. Not in the house obviously, but on the grounds.

Some people find the house creepy. Not surprising, given the events that have occurred there, and the fact that there's still bullet damage to the railing from the trooper shooting in '39. The house was sold off after the murders, and only one family lived there until 2004. Some visitors have said that they've felt sad or being watched while in the house. Others have said that there's a dreadful feeling in the house.

Comment

It's not the property's fault that something tragic happened inside of it.

Comment

There are a few properties I've read about where no buyer seems to be able to stay very long, due to what might be called supernatural goings-on. Some had a tragedy occur, some didn't, some are just bad anyway.

Me, I'd want to know. I've seen enough things personally to no longer be a complete skeptic, though I don't believe every story I read. But if a house has been the site of something that bad, I don't want to buy it.

Comment

Working...
            X