Teenage girl kicked out of school for dyeing her hair auburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage girl kicked out of school for dyeing her hair auburn

Yes, you read that right. Not blue, not purple, not even green. She colored her hair auburn and the principle didn't like it.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/uta...192700681.html

I have no words.
    A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Wont load for me at the moment, but auburn.

I wonder how many girls dye blonde and get sent home.

Comment

So... even aside from the color in question, why should schools have rules about hair color in the first place? (Or, for that matter, any number of other rules they have that cross the line from minimal necessary for keeping order into meddling with personal business?)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I like the fact that she's been doing the dyeing since school started, but they didn't get a bug up their butts until now.

Also, she's an honor student. You'd think they'd have better things to do than persecute honor students for dying their brown hair auburn.

While I'm not a fan of auburn, myself, because it is sort of a wishy-washy not-quite-natural sort of hair color (mine is brown/blue/pink - the world knows that it's dyed ), but I don't really think anybody should be persecuting people because their hair might shine a bit purplish in certain lighting conditions.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I can't stand control freaks. And the scariest part of all is, these are the people who are educating our kids. I'm so glad I don't have any more to put through the school system.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Her hair looked pretty natural to me. Certainly not a bizarre color that doesn't look right.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

It's not a bizarre color in the least.

However, box-based auburn nearly-always has this vaguely purplish woody mahogany tinge to it that is absolutely not a natural hair color.

Article at The Inquisitor, with a much better shot of her hair in the light. Definitely not a natural hair color, but certainly not so far away from one that anybody gives a rat's ass but one uptight principal.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I wonder how many teachers are required to not use dye to hide grey in their hair?

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                  I wonder how many teachers are required to not use dye to hide grey in their hair?

Rapscallion
                  You know I was thinking that myself but then I could see them trying to do the whole " they are older and this entitled" or the rules are for the students only.

Comment

Well, the rules are supposed to be about "unnatural" hair colors, and most of the grey-covering dye jobs I've seen would be hard to spot as dye jobs if you didn't already know they were greying.

Bosslady at work, for example, has such a basic dark brown, that unless her roots are showing, it's hard to tell it's not her regular color.

But I suspect there might be a teacher or two who has a dye color that doesn't look as natural in the light as it might under the classroom lights, and if so, then I would hope some of the students point out the glaring issue, there.

[eta]
                    Honestly, I'm glad that my school just didn't care. One of my friends had a tri-color mohawk the entire time I knew her and beyond the initial (oh, hey, she's got green and purple and orange hair) reaction, it becomes a completely non-issue. It's background noise by the third day.

^-.-^

Comment

Grey hair for them is natural. Colouring it is unnatural.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

True, but irrelevant.

The wording, as I understand it, is "a natural color," not "your natural color."

^-.-^

Comment

I've been dying my hair a very similar shade as the one in the article for a while. I have had many people wish they had hair just like my natural auburn colour. Truthfully, my hair is a mousy brown, I think. It's been about 10 years since it was my natural colour. But my mother, her 2 sisters and brother, and my own brother have varying shades of auburn hair (must be those good strong Scots genes), so on me the shade looks natural. Funny that before I got it done my mother insisted I wouldn't suit red hair, now she is forever saying to me "do you think you need to go for a touch up? Your hair looks so good that shade".

Like the girl in the article, when I first get it done it takes a couple of washes to settle, then it's good to go for a few months. I think that the fact this girl has been dying her hair this particular shade for quite a while and nothing has been said before would be an indication that the shade is a natural colour. If it was so out there something would have been said earlier.

Comment

My school way back when I was there, and even now, wouldn't bat an eye at it. Hell, her hair colour looks like its the same shade my mom's been dying her hair for decades, and mom's been teaching there just as long.

Mom's own opinion on the matter (and she would stand up in defense of the kids and has seniority enough to make it matter) would be to let them dye their hair whatever colours they want. As long as they aren't causing a problem in the class, she doesn't care if they have 'normal' hair styles, or mohawks or anything else.

Comment

I wouldn't care about whether the kids dye their hair or not, although since I am going to be teaching primary school (K-7, although my background is going to be more likely K-4 or K-5) I would be wondering why a child aged 9 or 10 is getting their hair dyed.

Down here for school sports days, kids would often bring in the cans of the coloured hair spray and go nuts. A number of schools have since stopped allowing students to bring those in for OHS reasons, so they do them outside of the school instead

Comment

Working...
                              X