A New Father DEMANDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Father DEMANDS

that no black nurses attend to his newborn child in the neonatal unit. after making the demand, he alledgedly showed the charge nurse a swastika tatto on his arm (I assume to make his demand a little more "threatening"). A 25 year vetern black nurse was immediately reassigned to other children. The nurse in question has file a discrmination suit again the hospital and the charge nurse.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-says#comments
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

So the hospital takes steps that could probably protect her from this friggen idiot and she sues her work place...

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
      So the hospital takes steps that could probably protect her from this friggen idiot and she sues her work place...

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
      Not really, the hospital should have denied the request instead of granting it, the fact that they had a "no African-american nurses to attend this baby" note on the chart and only removed it and refused the request later after advice from theirs lawyers means she's got a pretty good case of discrimination on her hands.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I feel sorry for the newborn.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
          I feel sorry for the newborn.
          Me too growing up with a bigoted father like that. What did he think would happen if *gasp* a black nurse touched his child?

I can't believe people still hold these beliefs.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The fact that he is a bigoted ass aside, does he not have a say on who cares for his child? It kinda puts the hospital in a spot. Do they do as requested and risk a lawsuit or deny his request and risk a lawsuit.

I believe the hospital chose poorly but at the same time I have to ask 'well what would this bigot had done if he saw a black american caring for his child?'

I feel bad for the kid to. So glad I wasnt raised like that.

Comment

I tend to lean towards the safety interpretation: how might he react if he sees his request ignored? (Part of me says "so let him and have the police haul him off.") Most businesses could simply refuse service, but that's not really an option in this case.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

My question is...

What about Hispanics? Asians? Middle eastern folk?

What happens if he gets someone who's mixed race? (Now that would be fun to watch )

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  I tend to lean towards the safety interpretation: how might he react if he sees his request ignored? (Part of me says "so let him and have the police haul him off.") Most businesses could simply refuse service, but that's not really an option in this case.
                  See that's what I was thinking? What if reacted in such a way he not only put the nurse at risk but also the other newborns.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                    The fact that he is a bigoted ass aside, does he not have a say on who cares for his child? It kinda puts the hospital in a spot. Do they do as requested and risk a lawsuit or deny his request and risk a lawsuit.

I believe the hospital chose poorly but at the same time I have to ask 'well what would this bigot had done if he saw a black american caring for his child?'

I feel bad for the kid to. So glad I wasnt raised like that.
                    Yeah that's the dilemma. The guy is an asshole and assholes shouldn't be accomodated, but at least they know he's an asshole. At that point, what good would it have done to have her care for the child?

Comment

The fact that he is a bigoted ass aside, does he not have a say on who cares for his child?
                      When is in reference to nurses (or other medical staff and/or emergency personnel), and it has no basis in medical knowledge, and when he himself is not a doctor, nurse, or have any kind of training that would give him an informed opinion on the matter...

No.

Comment

TI believe the hospital chose poorly but at the same time I have to ask 'well what would this bigot had done if he saw a black american caring for his child?'
                        When he made his demand, the hospital should first have called up a couple security people (black, of course) just in case he got out of hand, then had the doctor (find a black doctor from another unit, if necessary) to inform him that for the next 2 weeks, it happened that on 3rd shift (i.e. outside visiting hours, so he couldn't verify), ALL the neonatal-qualified nurses scheduled were black, and if he didn't like that, he could (after signing the AMA discharge) take his baby to another hospital.

Comment

as one commmenter stated (and I am paraphrasing):

"How long are we going to allow people to bully us with this stupid racist and bigioted attitude complies with implied 'threats'."
                          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            When is in reference to nurses (or other medical staff and/or emergency personnel), and it has no basis in medical knowledge, and when he himself is not a doctor, nurse, or have any kind of training that would give him an informed opinion on the matter...

No.
                            As long as he is the primary legal guardian of said baby...

Yes. Sadly, he has the right to choose his carers. Sadly because of the reasons and grounds on which he chooses them...

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post

No.
                              If it was religious grounds, would that have made a difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X