Teachers 'prank' results in tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hinakiba777 View Post
    Exactly! I mean one student even expressed concern of the costs of the trips, but the teacher assured the child that the flights would be really cheap. It's just a really cruel thing to do.
    I remember back in High School, when I was in my Immersion program, our French teacher proposed a trip to France for the Grade 12 year (we were Grade 11). Initially I was skeptical of it, and didn't sign up for it, but a bunch of kids did sign up.

The trip was on the up and up, but for some reason the teacher had to transfer (I think there was a controversy there, and may have been rumors of embezzlement with respect to that teacher and/or her husband who also taught at that school). The incoming french teacher picked up the slack, as did my mom (who was at the time transferred down to the school as an English teacher).

In the end 10 students and 3 adults (mom, the french teacher, and a parent) went, including myself. Of the 10 students maybe 1 or 2 were originally signed up for it.

And since then, every year, either during March Break or during Summer, mom has taken another group of students Somewhere. So when she announces she's doing a trip, and looks for kids who want to go on it (or as often, the kids ask her to do a trip to Somewhere), they know if she says yes, they're going. (If they can afford EF Tours prices).

(Trips have included Egypt, Paris, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, London, Australia twice, and as of next week Costa Rica)

But one thing mom makes sure when she does run these trips, is she makes sure all the costs are outlined in advance, and she has the brochures from a company with a lot of history in the business (EF Tours as I mentioned; I think she's one of their top travellers now. Through her points with them, we've paid for most of our yearly Vegas trip flights). Between the trust she's built up through the nearly 20 years she's been running these trips (Damn that's a long time. where did the time go?), and making sure she has all her ducks in a row, no one thinks her trips are a stunt like this mess was. (And the trips are completely extracurricular. Not for a specific class, but open to pretty much anyone who wants to cough up the money for it)

Comment

I love lordlundar's plan.

And no, this wasn't bullying. Not at all. That's a whole different category of fucked-up-ness. This was a bunch of people who, if I give them the benefit of the doubt, thought they were teaching a kid, and all the kids, a good, solid lesson. But, like the planners here in Seattle who got all the way through planning stages and most of the construction before it hit them that calling the new trolley like the South Lake Union Trolley/Transit was a very, VERY bad plan, these teachers apparently just didn't 'get' it until it was too late.

...part of me wants to think they WERE getting a kick out of building the kids a sand castle, then stomping on it, but I think it's more likely that they just didn't think.

Comment

Working...
      X