Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The onion loses its goddamned mind.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...oscar-nominee/

So the onion tweeted that a 9 year old little girl at the oscars was a C**T. As a joke.

HaHA really funny right?
    seriously fuck them.

It's not known what inspired The Onion's tweet.
    Oh, that is complete bullshyte. There has been a whole spate of articles recently about how adult actors resent child actors who get nominations, seeing it as more of a stunt than as a recognition of years of hard work. The line was attempting to poke fun at the sentiment, which is apparently widely shared among Hollywood actors, but only spoken about in hushed tones, because no one wants to be seen as dumping on a little kid. People didn't get the joke, and using that particular word was in poor taste (as many of their jokes are.) It's not the first time they've deleted a joke that fell flat, and it won't be the last.

Comment

skimming the comments someone said it might be due to each time the camera was on her she was doing something, possibly related to the movie she was in some "who the man you the man" thing, no idea, never heard of her.
      but just the tweet by itsself, it's got no frame of reference like a youtube clip showing what they mean so there is no joke to get, just "bla is a bit of a cunt", unless you are watching both the oscars and your twitter feed at the same time any time specific tweets can seem pointless or bizzare, eg "OMG did you see who was behind celeb? fugly" when you next see celeb there are other people behind them, so if you are wondering who out of brad pitt and johny depp is meant to be fugly, when infact they might be on about carrot top five minutes prior and only just visible 'behind' them.

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...allis/1946327/

The onion has not only apologized but made it a real sincere apology that just outright says it did wrong and will do better in the future. I'm willing to buy it was just someone dumbass who is hopefully unemployed now, however people really need to realize that this stuff will bite them and need to keep an eye on things like this.

Comment

Yeah, I think it was a case of The Onion giving someone free reign on Twitter who posted something he/she shouldn't have. I recall a few other companies that didn't really moderate or have a formal approval process for their social media postings.

I'm glad they fessed up to it. They've always posted content that was on the fence, but 9 times out of 10 it was still on the good side of that fence. They usually do a good job of tip toeing the boundary without actually crossing it, and that's part of their appeal.

Comment

I love The Onion, but nobody's perfect. So they missed with a joke attempt trying to make fun of the overly-serious adult actors being fed up over child actors winning awards. It was in poor taste and they fessed up to it quickly. They apologized quite sincerely. I'm certainly not going to say "fuck them" over a failed joke, especially when like 95% of the time they're spot on.

Comment

NPR posted a story where The Onion appologized. I think they only appologized because former staffers were so outraged, not because of anything else.

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                Oh, that is complete bullshyte. There has been a whole spate of articles recently about how adult actors resent child actors who get nominations, seeing it as more of a stunt than as a recognition of years of hard work. The line was attempting to poke fun at the sentiment, which is apparently widely shared among Hollywood actors, but only spoken about in hushed tones, because no one wants to be seen as dumping on a little kid. People didn't get the joke, and using that particular word was in poor taste (as many of their jokes are.) It's not the first time they've deleted a joke that fell flat, and it won't be the last.
                Well, to be fair, the Academy Awards aren't about years of work. It's not the "Best Actor who worked his ass for for 20 years award." It's "Best Actor in a Drama" award. It honors THAT particular role and acting job and no other.

A lot of actors/actresses have been up for Oscars multiple times and haven't won. Now if someone thinks the Academy got it wrong that's one thing, but to say an actor should get an Oscar just because it's "his turn" is just stupid and appealing to the lowest common denominator.

If a child actor wins, he wins. Bottom line.

All that being said, let me get back on topic and say I agree with the consensus that the joke was in horrible taste. But I'm hardly outraged; all jokes are at some level.
                Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                  A lot of actors/actresses have been up for Oscars multiple times and haven't won. Now if someone thinks the Academy got it wrong that's one thing, but to say an actor should get an Oscar just because it's "his turn" is just stupid and appealing to the lowest common denominator.
                  They have had some token postumus awards, not necessairly an oscar for a movie they may have been in that year (I forget if Heath Leger won for his role as the Joker, or if it was a never ending torrent of OMG he should win cos he died so soon afterwards and if he did win was it soley due to said torrent.)
                  Some actors who have fallen off the face of the earth die and they they get a life time achievement award and as they had been away for so long I thought they were dead already.

But aye, no one should just be gifted an oscar because hey it's your turn.
                  It would be a sad state of affairs if the child actor is the only one nominated in a star studded movie (not necessarily this one as I have no sodding clue who she is or the film) especially if upon watching it you find the big names just doing it for the cheque and using a can with a string as they cannot even be arsed phoning in the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                    I forget if Heath Leger won for his role as the Joker, or if it was a never ending torrent of OMG he should win cos he died so soon afterwards and if he did win was it soley due to said torrent.)
                    Yes, he won best supporting actor that year.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I personally could not stand Macauly Culkin way back when, nore Titanic era DiCaprio.
                      With Culkin it was Home alone, ok for a first watch, but very little afterwards, I don't recall any other movie after my girl and alone 2, maybe he did more but he did fade out of sight and resume being a kid.
                      Late last year I saw a yahoo retrospective that showed an early in the year pic of an adult Culkin looking a bit gaunt with a goatee and fingerless gloves, aparantly at the time there was alot of concern about his health, yes he looked thin, but not as thin as christian bale was when filming the Machinist, perhaps he was filming a movie (he had made atleast one film as an adult) where his character was a street sleeper (he did kinda look like he had seen a few nights in cardboard sleeping bags) and they don't look well fed as a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        Yes, he won best supporting actor that year.
                        Deservedly so IMHO. He did a great job of acting.

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                        I personally could not stand Macauly Culkin way back
                        God I hated that movie. It was not that funny at all.

I think Culkin got into drugs, didn't he? In any case, he's not likely to revive his career, so I wouldn't begrudge him anything he genuinely earned for his previous performances.
                        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                          That reminds me of how many years (1977 to 1999) Susan Lucci (Erica Kane on soap opera All My Children) was nomincated in the Daytime Emmys for Oustanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series but did not win. There are rumors as to why this "drought" happened but nothing concrete.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                          X