Is there no justice in this world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there no justice in this world?

Girl gets drunk, gets behind the wheel, plows down a pedestrian. Gets 10 years probation because she has political ties.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/02...-death-videos/

This is absolutely disgusting. What a shitbag of a human being. There is no reason in the world that should keep her out of jail. She and her dirtbag father both should be in there but it's nice to see that just being of little important politically means you can get away with murder.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

If the family of the deceased has a good lawyer they can go after them civilly and if they can i would sue them for every penny and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJaneway View Post
        If the family of the deceased has a good lawyer they can go after them civilly and if they can i would sue them for every penny and then some.
        That's great for them and all but this woman is just going to go out and do it again.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Teachers, and I know other jobs that require that the person maintain an ethical standing in the community. Why is it that government doesn't have to.

Unfortunately it's because they have the money, and the ability to make the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by JPD View Post
            Unfortunately it's because they have the money, and the ability to make the rules.
            They'll use their money and influence to get off.

For example, former Allegheny County coroner Cyril Wecht caused an accident on the Parkway. He forced another driver off the road, and into a guardrail. He pulled the "do you know who I am" card to the driver, and the cops. From what I understand, he wasn't charged not only because of who he was, but because he was the coroner at the time...he could have made those officers' jobs very difficult. He got away with it, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              That's great for them and all but this woman is just going to go out and do it again.
              Bingo. This woman will drink and drive again, and will eventually kill again.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I've been astounded in recent years by the lenient approach the US takes towards drink driving.

Back in the seventies over here, it used to be a case of not thinking that much if Fred at the bar staggered out to his car and drove home. Due to a significant amount of governmental and police PR, it's now a case of most of the regulars in the bar would phone the police or verbally/physically stop a fellow drinker who they knew to be over the limit. Drink drivers over here are now viewed in a similar light to pond scum.

You tend to lose your licence for a year on the first offence over here. Second offence is usually a permanent ban. Jail time isn't unknown, and large fines are usually exacted. I don't know of anyone who thinks this is unfair. I hear of drink drivers in the US who time and again get a slap on the wrist and go out to do it again.

Stunning. It really is.

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                  You tend to lose your licence for a year on the first offence over here. Second offence is usually a permanent ban. Jail time isn't unknown, and large fines are usually exacted. I don't know of anyone who thinks this is unfair. I hear of drink drivers in the US who time and again get a slap on the wrist and go out to do it again.
                  I think you mean drunk drivers

Yeah, we have those penalties, too. But judges rarely enact them for a first offense. Usually there is plea bargaining, and the drunk gets off on a misdemeanor, a warning not to do it again, and maybe a treatment program. They usually rack up four or five charges before they start facing serious prison time . . . and by then they've often killed or maimed someone.
                  Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                    I think you mean drunk drivers
                    Hmm, sort of interchangeable over here. One of our less-cute foibles.

Rapscallion
                    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Just to show how much my state is a bit backwards (Blas especially , and Irv and others can back me up on this) and how much the "hobby of drinking" is ingrained into the state culture.

up until recently (maybe 4 or 5 years ago) drunk drivers could be convicted, fined and/or sentenced almost unlimited times without real consequences ie. more license suspension time, jail time, lots of points deducted, etc. Even underage drinking was not really frowned on that bad.

It was not even a felony offence until maybe your 9th conviction in say 3 years that the law got even the slightest bit serious about stopping the offence.

Yes they tried the ignition interlocks, more painful slaps on the wrist, etc.

Then they decided to get serious a while back. the first 3 offenses are still misdomeniors. now after the 3d offense it is a felony and convictions stay on your record for 65 years.

And now God help you if you are in a wreck and or kill someone (either a pedestrian or in a vehicle yours or the opposing car).
                      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                      X