Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did we start commemorating anti-progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did we start commemorating anti-progress?

Today, the newspaper called the Sydney Morning Herald (known as The Silly down here in Melbourne. And, I suspect, quite a few other places) converted from broadsheet to tabloid - er, excuse me, compact - format.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, the readers of said tabloid were offered the opportunity to purchase a framed, fine-art print of the front page of the first edition.

You could, of course, buy the paper itself for a couple of bucks, but no, you could have a collectible reproduction with a certificate of authenticity.

For 330 dollars. Fortunately, that includes tax.

That's not a misprint. Three hundred and thirty dollars. For a single page of a newspaper.

And the kicker? One story on the first page says that it is continued on page 4. The other story says it is continued on page 12.

They actually continued on pages 5 and 13 respectively.

You know it's that level of attention to detail that explains why Fairfax is going down the toilet as a media publisher.

I think the point is a) it is printed on far higher quality paper than usual and b) it's rare- they are only printing 500 of them, so it could conceivably develop value due to scarcity ( On the other hand, that does depend on people specifically wanting the front page, not the whole newspaper)

Comment

Working...
    X