Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guy orders EIGHTY FIVE pizzas...tips TEN DOLLARS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy orders EIGHTY FIVE pizzas...tips TEN DOLLARS!

http://consumerist.com/2013/03/05/cu...s-pays-68-tip/

Now it's possible the $10 MIGHT be on top of another agreed upon gratuity or that this receipt may be bogus/photoshopped/etc but if it IS real then man, what a douchebag.

Well, we have a lead. We must find a person by the name of "phone"

Comment

Eh, I'm taking this one with a grain of salt. There's been quite a few of these recently that have been faked.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        Well, we have a lead. We must find a person by the name of "phone"
        Tch, good luck with that. The internet's been searching for phone for four years

Who was phone?
        "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
        We are contented, because he says we are
        He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

welcome to my world. all of the drivers at my store can tell of similiar stories about huge orders that tipped very little or not at all.

abouit 2 years ago we had 2 multi-location orders for 2 different companies (Mart of Wal) and a nationally know advertising/markieting company that started out publishing phone books.

Both orders were huge (bigger that the one in the OP) involving multipule drivers and locations (a couple of locations were WAY outside of our delivery area).

Guess what the tip was in both cases......

ZERO
          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            Eh, I'm taking this one with a grain of salt. There's been quite a few of these recently that have been faked.
            I agree. My favorite was one that that allegedly happened last week at a place I know personally. It was for a Lone Star Steakhouse in Lexington Park MD. They went under a year ago and now they're Coco Cabana and have been for the last...at least three months.

So I *know* that one was faked. Someone likely found his old receipt in a jacket pocket and thought "I'll get in on some of this troll action."
            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
              ... but if it IS real then man, what a douchebag.
              Sad thing is? After reading Customers Suck...I can believe either scenario as being realistic. Either this is a fake, a tip added onto an already pre-assigned gratuity, or it's a total douchewaffle.

As I said...I wouldn't die of shock to learn any of them.

And that said, a large pizza order like that (85 pizzas) would have to be for a large function. And since you wouldn't likely be having all multi-topping pizzas (a supreme, a meat lovers here and there certainly but not all of them) the likelihood is that they're mostly single-topping pizzas.

So with pizza prices being what they are, if we're talking about 85 large pies, that's roughly $17 per pizza. But since most would likely be large, one topping with a scattering of a few specials, the cost should be much lower. A single-top is around $10-$12 with the specials being $15-$17. So it really doesn't add up.

If you assume an average of $13 per pie (not unreasonable especially if the place gave a break for the large order) then you're looking at $1,105 total. Which with a 30% tip comes out to 1,436 and change.

Which leads me to suspect that this could be a real receipt for a real order (likely paid up front as I know I wouldn't do an order that big without seeing the cashy money) with a tip added already. Someone may have taken the receipt and wrote in the $10 to post it to the interwebs to get everyone inflamed.

I may be wrong, but to me it's the theory that fits Occam's Razor if it's a real order and someone really ordered 85 pies.
              “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I agree with Racket Man, this could be completely legit. An article I read suggested a tip of $85-$100 dollars. Um...I'd have to think about that one, but a tip of $10 was insulting.

I used to deliver pizza about 13-14 years ago. We once had a huge order for a sports tournament and it took a couple trips and about 3 drivers to deliver everything hot, fresh and undamaged. Because let's face it, pizza boxes are awkward and you can only fit so many in a single vehicle. You have to stack them a certain way and you can't tilt or lean them, because you don't want the hot, juicy toppings to slide off and go squish. It also takes a long time to make, assemble, pack up and deliver that many pizzas, all without going on other runs and making other tips.

We were tipped well, but it was also split between all the drivers involved. It averaged out okay for the time we each spent, but it was nothing extravagant. One big difference though, our manager made sure the tip was arranged ahead of time. He was an odd duck, but he completely had the back of his drivers, especially where tips were concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                  I agree with Racket Man, this could be completely legit. An article I read suggested a tip of $85-$100 dollars. Um...I'd have to think about that one, but a tip of $10 was insulting.

<snip>

One big difference though, our manager made sure the tip was arranged ahead of time. He was an odd duck, but he completely had the back of his drivers, especially where tips were concerned.
                  The other day a driver took a $200 order (I think) and got a whole $2.

Now a days management in general do NOT have the drivers backs for one reason and ONLY one reason ----- The sales/revenue dollars are their only concern. They, for the most part, care only about what is important to them ---- sales = bonus (if they even get one these days). They could care less if the driver gets tipped and most will not try to prearrange a tip.

The drivers are left flapping in the wind on their own.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                  The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                  X