New York Man has been summoned to court for laughing too loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Man has been summoned to court for laughing too loud

Apparently, Robert Schiavelli, of New York, has been given 2 summonses for "disturbing the peace" for laughing "too loud" while sitting at his window.

Mr. Schiavelli is 42 years old and is disabled. He said his laughter is a defense mechanism against the neighbors who make fun of his disability.

Originally posted by article
    In Tuesday's court hearing, Judge William Croutier said he "was not so inclined" to dismiss the charges, The Associated Press reported.
    What the ... ? I find this to be utterly ridiculous.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

This story only seems to have one side to it. No comments from the neighbors, no comments from the police, and only a small quote of what the judge said. Maybe this isn't the first incident of the guy being obnoxious with his laughing to piss people off. He sounds totally paranoid. How much of the stuff that he "noticed" (Mocking or staring) was just stuff he saw in his head?

Something just seems wrong about this incident where we just are only getting the one-sided extremely biased view on this.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I tend to agree with Greenday. It's very possible he's doing a forced laugh that is unnecessarily loud and can easily be quieted down.

On the other hand, it's also possible his neighbors are truly heartless assholes who have truly been making fun of him and mocking him, and when he defiantly laughed at them they meanspiritedly called police and made up some bogus "disturbing the peace" complaint.

The problem with the cited source is the video is of a news program that looks so sensationalized, shallow, and obnoxious it's downright impossible to take seriously and loses all credibility. They look for human-interest "shock" stories like this and will spin it any way to make it more sensational. Judging from the format it seems just one notch above TMZ or Entertainment Tonight on banality.

Comment

A Huffington Post article with a little more information.

NBC New York article stating that neighbors who "wish to remain anonymous" are saying that Mr . Schiavelli is the bully.
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

It's hard to judge, but both the neighbors and the guy sound like douchebags.

The neighbors are douchebags for making fun of someone's disability.

The guy sounds like a douchebag for deliberately creating a disturbance.

There are no sympathetic characters in this story.

Comment

Kind of a one-sided set of stories here, methinks. All of them deal with the 'claims' about his neighbors, none of which apparently can be proven. If they were truly making fun of him and harassing him...why aren't they being charged?

How do we know that all of this isn't simply the guy stirring shit up...and then bitching about the reaction? I'm sure some of you remember me posting about the goofballs that live next door to my parents. We've had the cops called on us for such things as daring to park in front of their house, to working on vehicles in our driveway, or any other "offenses" they can think of. Since we know the cops (40-plus years in the same borough will do that), any time they come, we know exactly who called..and that nothing will happen.

Unfortunately, not everyone else is as tolerant as my parents. Goofballs have had their cars messed with, the house egged (including one epic Halloween...when it to nailed twice!), and their yard displays damaged. All of that was done by other neighbors, who are tired of the bullshit. What usually happens, is that the goofballs will harass a target. Target may or may not retaliate. Cops come...and then the waterworks starts. I've heard stories about how the goofballs cry about "we didn't do anything," "We're nice people," "I thought this was a safe neighborhood," etc.

In other words, they can dish it out, but can't take it. That's what I think we have here--someone wanted to get attention/a reaction, and is now pissed at the outcome.

Comment

Even if the guy is trolling...so fucking what? It's not like he's shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, or spouting hate speech like Fred Phelps or others of his ilk.

IMHO, the true tragedy is that people are condemning for daring to be obnoxious in public. Last I heard that wasn't illegal. Then again, who knows anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
                Even if the guy is trolling...so fucking what? It's not like he's shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, or spouting hate speech like Fred Phelps or others of his ilk.

IMHO, the true tragedy is that people are condemning for daring to be obnoxious in public. Last I heard that wasn't illegal. Then again, who knows anymore?
                It is illegal to be a public nuisance or disturbing the peace. I can't blare my music too loud or constantly scream at the top of my lungs, even if it's on my property, if it bothers the neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                  It is illegal to be a public nuisance or disturbing the peace. I can't blare my music too loud or constantly scream at the top of my lungs, even if it's on my property, if it bothers the neighbors.
                  True, but AFAIK noise citations are a ticketable offense at worst. This guy's being railroaded, especially if he does have a disability.

Comment

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
                    True, but AFAIK noise citations are a ticketable offense at worst.
                    Depends. What if it's not he first time?

I know that the family across the street has had the cops called on them a few times. Why? Because their 7-year-old son is a spoiled little shit...who will scream as loud as he can, at all hours of the night. For example, his mom will tell him to come in...and he'll start howling. It doesn't stop when he's inside the house either. He'll go up to his room, still screaming, and will start pounding on the windows He's loud enough, that I can sometimes hear him in the winter...and I have my house all closed up.

Oh, and it's not a cheap ticket either--my borough's code allows for a fine of up to $300 *per instance.*

Comment

Working...
                    X