No announcement yet.

Restaurant Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of places here just refuse to let customers use a restroom (and have signs posted stating such) since they've had so many troubles with users either using drugs, locking the door and sleeping, or just smashing things.

Pay toilets were around here in the 70s, but they're all gone now. They left this behind:
    "Here I sit, broken-hearted
    paid a quarter, only farted."

Comment

I remember reading once that the reason we don't generally have them in the US anymore is partly because of increased vandalism and mess in pay toilets over free ones, and partly because it was discriminatory: women, but not men, had to pay to pee.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Incidentally, a few years ago Seattle installed three or four self-cleaning toilets on the street. After you used one, it would verify that nobody was inside, close the door, and hose everything down with hot water and soap. Thus, they were always squeaky clean for the next user. I used two of them, and not only were they very clean, but-- in middle school, I knew a bunch of teen vandals and (being as I like to learn about everything) they told me in detail how they get into and break "vandal-resistant" things. Out of curiosity, I examined these, and I wouldn't have called them vandal-resistant. They appeared to be vandal-PROOF!

A few years after installation they all got removed. There was some controversy over them and prostitution/drug use inside, which I don't doubt occurred... but shortly before they were removed, I walked by one and noticed the door was open - they close until you pushed the open button. I took a look...

The door was being held open by a pair of absolutely filthy jeans, rolled into a big lump. And the inside was TRASHED. Every panel, hatch, dispenser and part had been scratched with tags, pried open somehow and bent, smashed, or otherwise badly damaged. They were a GREAT idea-- and then stupid assholes ruined them.

Comment

Setting aside the vandalism, anybody have an explanation for the "we can't have toilets for the public because some people might use them for drugs or sex?" How is that a reason they shouldn't be available?
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't think that they need more reason than that. The fact is that most retailers are more than happy to have something to attract footfall into the store, as people in stores are more likely to buy things than those not in stores. However, the sheer cost in damages and frustration from actual vandalism etc is - I would assume - far more than the benefit to the stores, otherwise they'd offer the service to get punters in.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              Setting aside the vandalism, anybody have an explanation for the "we can't have toilets for the public because some people might use them for drugs or sex?" How is that a reason they shouldn't be available?
              IF anyone remembers a member on CS called The Nametag says Arron (of the Vinagar Boy Saga), he worked at a gas/convience store in Aussie land. I remember him posting many stories about people using the restrooms at his work for sex and drug purposes. He complained about having to clean up all of the "various things" left behind which were ALL quite nasty and disgusting. AND in the fact that some drug users either passed out or almost ID'ed in the restroom.

I believe he had the local police on speed dial.
              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
              X