Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting a thumb in the eye of the WBC, in the most legal way possible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a thumb in the eye of the WBC, in the most legal way possible.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/20...ob.php?ref=fpb

The house directly across from the WBC headquarters has been repurposed as a Gay-Rights Centre, including rainbow paintjob and flag.

Take that and choke on it, Phelps!

Maybe the old bastard will have a heart attack. That is, if he even has a heart.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Seems a bit childish to me, really.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't mind them being childish so much as I am worried about somebody getting hurt. Yes, I know WBC doesn't make a policy of actually physically hurting people, but when you have that much hatred encased in one building in such close proximity to those which they hate, well...I can see a WBC member flying off the handle and committing hate crimes, anything from vandalism to violent terrorism.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          It's actually very clever. They are using all the spotlight that the media dumps on WBC in a good way. They're re-purposing the attention that WBC thrives on and turning it to a good cause.

It's well thought out and, in my opinion, anything but childish.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
            I don't mind them being childish so much as I am worried about somebody getting hurt. Yes, I know WBC doesn't make a policy of actually physically hurting people, but when you have that much hatred encased in one building in such close proximity to those which they hate, well...I can see a WBC member flying off the handle and committing hate crimes, anything from vandalism to violent terrorism.
            So, basically, doing exactly what the WBC incites others to do to them for the purpose of suing the pants off of people for taking offense to what the WBC preaches.

Hope the homeowner's springing for some nice security cameras.

Comment

It's about time someone made a vocal stand against WBC.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Salted Grump View Post
                So, basically, doing exactly what the WBC incites others to do to them for the purpose of suing the pants off of people for taking offense to what the WBC preaches.

Hope the homeowner's springing for some nice security cameras.
                That's great and all, but it's not worth somebody getting killed to win a moral victory against the WBC, or to sue them. Especially since you don't have to do literally anything to win a moral victory against the WBC - you can do nothing and win a moral victory against the WBC simply because their sheer existence is sickening.

Comment

He says he won't be living at the house, so it's a symbolic gesture more or less, which is still a fantastic symbol. (Especially since apparently the rest of the neighbourhood is supporting him). There should be relatively little risk, and if security is tight enough, any vandalism should be trackable.

Comment

Maybe, but then so is the WBC.
                    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jetfire View Post
                      He says he won't be living at the house, so it's a symbolic gesture more or less, which is still a fantastic symbol. (Especially since apparently the rest of the neighbourhood is supporting him). There should be relatively little risk, and if security is tight enough, any vandalism should be trackable.
                      Not completely a symbolic gesture. The owner plans to use it for an anti-bullying center, I believe.

Here's the best part: he's straight. He just hates hatred.

I actually think the paint job is quite lovely.
                      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Having had a day to think about it, it's not childish. It's Frosted-Flakes great.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Having had a day to think about it, it's not childish. It's Frosted-Flakes great.
                          You have to admit, it's a pretty cool paint job.

And I don't think there's anything legally the WBC can do to get the guy to change the paint job.
                          If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

well, if the STFU he'll probably change the paintjob, but they'd be laughed out of court if they tried suing. especially since the guy has local support.

Comment

Originally posted by DGoddess View Post
                              You have to admit, it's a pretty cool paint job.

And I don't think there's anything legally the WBC can do to get the guy to change the paint job.
                              Only if there were an HOA involved, and I doubt those two forms of evil would be compatible.

Comment

Working...
                              X