Honor Student Expelled and Charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honor Student Expelled and Charged

...for having a mutually consensual relationship with a girl 3 years younger than her that started when they were 17 and 14.

The now-18 year old, Kate Hunt, can either go to trial or take a plea that would place her under house arrest for two years and put her on the sex offender list for life.

It seems both sets of parents were aware of the relationship, but the minor's parents seem to have waited until Hunt was 18 to make any kind of noise about it.

On top of that, the sheriff released the affidavit to the press, and, supposedly, it's highly detailed and graphic. (I say supposedly because Mommyish is more a blog than detailed news, and I haven't found another source yet.)

There's a Facebook group and Change.org petition asking for support for Hunt.
    I has a blog!

Petitions signed. I hope there's true justice for this poor girl.

Comment

The problem being that a 14-year-old can't consent, and neither can a 15-year-old.

On the surface, sure, it's mutually consenting. But just like with people who are drunk, it's not legal.

Now, I really don't think the punishment fits the crime in any way, shape, or form, and the fact that the other girl's family waited until she was a legal adult before saying anything is shit. But the likelihood is that the older girl is going to be charged and convicted because she failed to observe the law, as crappy as it is.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The law needs to change. The relationship started when both were under the age of consent; that shouldn't suddenly make the relationship a crime because one of the partners had a birthday.

Petition signed.
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I don't think the law in the state of Florida needs to change, actually.

It is currently legal for an adult up to the age of 23 to be in a consensual relationship with a minor that is at least 16 years old.

I don't really find fault with the fact that they deem 15 years too young to legally consent. And I certainly don't believe a 14-year-old is mature enough to consent, even if their partner is of an age. I don't think there should be prosecution in cases where both parties are of an age, but a 3-year gap at that young is quite pronounced.

In California, her being with the girl at 14 would be an automatic felony. At 15 and within three years, it becomes a misdemeanor.

This isn't a failure of law, but a failure of education from the ground up.

[edit to add]
          Article at CBS with more detail and less irritating ads.

It's worth noting that the girl is more than three years the other's senior, having turned 18 while the younger was still 14.

Plus, it's a second degree felony, which can be, not will be, punishable with up to 15 years in prison and could require registry as a sex offender. The plea is reported to be 2 years of house arrest and 1 of probation.

Plus, while the parents of the older girl claim the other girl's parents waited, the article in the OP states that they contacted police as soon as they were aware of the relationship.
          Last edited by Andara Bledin; 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I bet the stink was raised because both are female. If it had been a male jock on the football team or something with a younger girl it would have been ok in their eyes.

One should be able to have any kind of high school romance in peace for fuck's sake.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
              I bet the stink was raised because both are female. If it had been a male jock on the football team or something with a younger girl it would have been ok in their eyes.

One should be able to have any kind of high school romance in peace for fuck's sake.
              This is what Hunt's mother thinks. One of the articles indicate that the other parents told her that "[Hunt] turned our daughter gay!"
              I has a blog!

Comment

Yup. I hate to play that card, but I think the fact that it is a same sex relationship has a lot to do with why they're making a big deal over this.

This is a case where the letter of the law needs to be re examined.

Comment

No. One absolutely should not. There is a reason that the laws were written as they were, and it was specifically to account for the fact that young people are typically incapable of making decisions regarding their own sexual congress in an informed and safe way.

The the older girl's parents seemed to have no issue with their nearly-adult daughter dating a 14-year-old girl, between 3 and 4 years her junior, is more than a bit depressing. That they failed to have the relevant discussion with her regarding her responsibilities as the older party, moreso.

This isn't about sexuality, except as it may relate to the younger girl's parents' willingness to file a complaint. In the legal and ethical discussion, it has no place. It's a red herring being used by some to cloud the real issue.

I am sorry that she's been caught up in this. The likelihood is that she had no idea that what she was doing was illegal to the degree that it was. But as the senior of the two and the one with greater power, maturity, and control, it thus fell on her, and her parents, to be responsible. It's a shame that nobody stepped up to the plate and that the other girl's parents had to be such assholes about the issue.

Comment

but a 3-year gap at that young is quite pronounced.
                    Very much so. The laws are in place for specific reasons.

I know some take the angle of "how dare this be anti-gay" - I've seen enough of it on FB already - but... gay or straight, the law should be administered the same.

Would the parents have said otherwise had their daughter's partner been male? Maybe. But also maybe not. It's purely speculative in my opinion. Plus... they're not the only ones who can press charges anyway. So there's still a possibility this would have gone to court anyway.

In my opinion, even with parents listing homosexuality in their complaint... it does not change the fact that the relationship violated the AOC laws of that state.

Gay might have been why they complained, but AOC is why the courts took action.

As for the expulsion... the school may not have had a choice in the matter. Remember, "consent" is not considered legal for minors - especially with a 3 year gap between ages. Thus, by law, the elder would have to be on the sex offender registry... which also means being allowed to remain in the same school as the partner (or victim) could bring a world of legal issues on the school.

There is no other option the school had.

This isn't about sexuality, except as it may relate to the younger girl's parents' willingness to file a complaint. In the legal and ethical discussion, it has no place. It's a red herring being used by some to cloud the real issue.
                    You stated it far better than I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      No. One absolutely should not. There is a reason that the laws were written as they were, and it was specifically to account for the fact that young people are typically incapable of making decisions regarding their own sexual congress in an informed and safe way.

The the older girl's parents seemed to have no issue with their nearly-adult daughter dating a 14-year-old girl, between 3 and 4 years her junior, is more than a bit depressing. That they failed to have the relevant discussion with her regarding her responsibilities as the older party, moreso.

I am sorry that she's been caught up in this. The likelihood is that she had no idea that what she was doing was illegal to the degree that it was. But as the senior of the two and the one with greater power, maturity, and control, it thus fell on her, and her parents, to be responsible. It's a shame that nobody stepped up to the plate and that the other girl's parents had to be such assholes about the issue.
                      Um, Andara? therer is another article here which merely says it is a same-sex relationship. the only place that "secual relationship" is mentioned is in one article that looks to be slanted towards the girlfriend's parent's side and in the article that tlaks about the affadavit. The atcual affidavit is not included. That means it might well not be a truly sexual relationship- f so, thne this would be a gorss overreaction.

Also, another point- the thical issue is actually cloudy. it's disputed if the parents waited until the girl was over the age of consent. If so, then thye lose the moral high ground. Second, check the ages again-it's 18 and 15, 17 and 14. it was a three year age gap, not 4. Third, the relationship appears to be sincere.

In short, the legality of the relationsip really depends on if it was actually sexual or not. ( And I will note that a judge ruled that the girl could attend school and simply avoid contact with the girlfriend. That sounds unliely if they actually did have sex)

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                        As for the expulsion... the school may not have had a choice in the matter. Remember, "consent" is not considered legal for minors - especially with a 3 year gap between ages. Thus, by law, the elder would have to be on the sex offender registry... which also means being allowed to remain in the same school as the partner (or victim) could bring a world of legal issues on the school.

There is no other option the school had.
                        Two judges said that Hunt could go to school with the minor partner, that expulsion wasn't needed.

It was the other parents who petitioned and pressured the school board to do so.

So now the school board gets to determine she's a sex offender before a court does?
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Just because one article overlooks the age-of-consent doesn't mean it's not an issue. It just means they're ignoring it.... and attempts to make it sound like it's a "gay felony" charge.

Even if a relationship isn't sexual in nature doesn't mean it's not illegal. Age of consent isn't just about sex, but about adult relationships.

Lastly, "the relationship appears to be sincere" doesn't mean the AOC laws go bye-bye. By that mentality a 12 year old could date a 30 year old. But look how many adults we've seen get arrested for that. Every week I see another story about a teacher (often female) arrested for relationships with minors. yes most of them are sexual ones, but even the appearance of impropriety can get the adult in trouble.

oh and not so lastly i guess but... "lose the moral highground". Um no. Many state laws allow for prosecution even after the victim is an adult. Up to 3 years.

The legality does not depend on whether or not they had sex. It depends on whether or not their ages fell within the law.

Two judges said that Hunt could go to school with the minor partner, that expulsion wasn't needed.
                          this does not protect the school from the threat of legal action. again you're assuming "having sex" is the only factor. technically even kissing can be enough to break the AOC. and the school is protecting itself.

they do have that right
                          Last edited by PepperElf; 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                            Um, Andara? therer is another article here which merely says it is a same-sex relationship. the only place that "secual relationship" is mentioned is in one article that looks to be slanted towards the girlfriend's parent's side and in the article that tlaks about the affadavit. The atcual affidavit is not included. That means it might well not be a truly sexual relationship- f so, thne this would be a gorss overreaction.
                            Well, except for this quote from the article I linked:

"The victim reportedly told police they began a sexual relationship and according to the report, the victim was 14 and Kaitlyn was 18."

Nevermind the fact that the older girl admitted to police that she had a sexual relationship with the younger girl.

Article at Yahoo

Again, it's reported that the parents of the other girl reported it as soon as they became aware.

And while it's still likely that the other parents are only complaining due to the fact that their daughter is dating another girl, that still doesn't change the fact that what happened is not legal, and, honestly, not acceptable, no matter the genders involved.

Comment

OK, I was unaware that it was definitely a sexual relationship; that changes things. You're right it isn't legal.

Pepperelf, what I said was that the girlfriend's parents lose the moral high ground if they waited until the older girl was an adult. What that means is that if thye waited until the older girl was an adult, then they lose all right to be merely concerned parents. ( if they were ok with the relationship then turned aorund and complained to the police when the older girl reached 18...)

oh, and Pepperelf? the reason I mentioned sex is becasue there are soem beahviours ( first or second base come to mind) which really shouldn't be considered sexual for the purposes of a law like this; I was curious as to how far the relationship had actaully got.

as for the relationship apeparing to be sincere, what meant was that it appears the relationship is more than just sex.

Comment

Working...
                              X