Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury suit that could rock NFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/b...-giants-071113

Summary: A former football player is suing another player (differnt team), the team and the NFL.

the 1st player was permanently injured and could not longer play Football in one of the "bounty for BIG hits or game or career ending injury" bonus "programs" under a certain coach. The play was described at the time as one of the dirtiest most unfair hits of all time.

How far should this go???? Do all players that were injured by players under that "bounty" coach get to sue????? Do ALL players injured get to sue????
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I think it all has to fall under the "if they can prove their case..." category.

In a full contact sport, certain injuries are to be expected. You don't have these large people smashing into each other and not expect someone to get hurt eventually.

However there is a line between "Oops I tackled you and caused you to misstep and snap your leg like a twig" and "Take that motherfucker out and I'll pay you money".

If they can prove that there was a bounty and that it would be paid to the one who could accomplish that feat...then by all means they should have the right to sue. If they can't then it's just hearsay and possibly someone pissed off that they can't be a superstar anymore.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
      However there is a line between "Oops I tackled you and caused you to misstep and snap your leg like a twig" and "Take that motherfucker out and I'll pay you money".
      ^ That right there. There's a difference between playing the game and headhunting. Full contact doesn't mean malicious intent to injure.

Comment

This, (Carson Palmer gets hurt by a Steelers player) IMHO, is a perfect example of the bounty hunting mentality. At the time Palmer was a hot up and coming quarterback, and this player "accidentally" falls into Palmer's knee? C'mon! It's obvious (to me at least) that was a deliberate hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          ^ That right there. There's a difference between playing the game and headhunting. Full contact doesn't mean malicious intent to injure.
          Ditto.

If it can be proven that there was an incentive for the players to intentionally cause harm to members of the other team, then everybody who can be proven to have been harmed by that deserves compensation from everybody that can be proven to be involved with making it happen.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

if the career-ending injury was deliberate, then the injured party should be able to collect for lost potential wages. In the NFL, that OUGHT to be a sufficient penalty.

Comment

The problem is, whether or not the injury was caused by a deliberate act is hard to prove in football, because of the violent nature of the game.

The bounty issue makes it easier to prove.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
                This, (Carson Palmer gets hurt by a Steelers player) IMHO, is a perfect example of the bounty hunting mentality. At the time Palmer was a hot up and coming quarterback, and this player "accidentally" falls into Palmer's knee? C'mon! It's obvious (to me at least) that was a deliberate hit.
                It looks like he was shoved into Palmer.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I watched that video and it looks like he's trying for a tackle on Palmer and gets held up before he gets there, resulting in him hitting his leg as he lands. He wasn't shoved, but rather was grabbed by one of Palmer's teammates who he was trying to wrestle past to get to Palmer, which is what led to him hitting Palmer in the way he did.

If you really pay attention, you can see the guy actually check his momentum about the same time his shoulder hits Palmer's knee. If he really wanted to hurt Palmer, he'd likely have just let himself slide.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andy, I think you're missing the far more important part that it's fun to hate the Steelers, so we gotta accuse them of stuff even when it seems pretty obvious there's nothing wrong.
                    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                    X