X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement going too far?

Bit more of a laugh than outrage but...

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...w_modal_slot_1

A couple rolled their child to a restaurant in his crib and asked if they could eat brunch outside of the restaurant while their child hung out.

Again. In his crib.

I think it's kind of hilarious, but at the same time, I'm just thinking, is this where we're headed now?
    I has a blog!

Gentrification is fun to watch. That's all I'm going to say.

Comment

That's a new level of WTF right there. Not only does a crib take up the entire sidewalk (inconsiderate!) but can you imagine the ordeal of dragging it outside and down the street at all? Those things are bulky and can be heavy.

Most babies will sleep in a stroller/car seat. Either these parents don't have either one of those, or they don't have functioning brains.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
        That's a new level of WTF right there. Not only does a crib take up the entire sidewalk (inconsiderate!) but can you imagine the ordeal of dragging it outside and down the street at all? Those things are bulky and can be heavy.

Most babies will sleep in a stroller/car seat. Either these parents don't have either one of those, or they don't have functioning brains.
        This is where I'm WTF-ing on this. Why bring the whole crib? why not a stroller or a smaller bassinet(sp?)?
        Last edited by crashhelmet; 07-12-2013, 11:06 PM.
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Perhaps because they were doing it for the attention.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

While decidedly odd, I'm thinking it must have been a terribly slow news day.

Also, has nobody thought that maybe they don't have a stroller?

Plus, they took the effort to ask if it was ok that they move the crib to an outside table, so it's not like they just put it there without so much as a by your leave. And since the place ok'd the arrangement, we have no idea how they might have reacted had they been told no.

Now, the behavior of their other kids, however... Who lets their kid bury themselves in sand that's the floor of an eatery?
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm not convinced they weren't trying for the wtf attention getting. But that may just be the last faint hope I have somewhere deep inside that there aren't people this stupid on the planet. >.>

Comment

Also, has nobody thought that maybe they don't have a stroller?
                As I said, maybe they don't have one (or a car seat, if they don't have a car), but even if they don't they're just making things harder on themselves by dragging a crib around. It's even easier to carry a baby and hold it in your lap while eating than it is to move an entore crib. Cribs usually have wheels, but they're not really meant for going out of the house, just for moving from room to room, so they're not exactly sturdy or manueverable.

And if the baby fell asleep right before they went out, they should have ordered in. Changing plans at the last minute is part of having kids.

The entire weirdo situation just seems far, far more difficult than it should be.

Comment

Considering that they have two other kids estimated at around 6 or 7, I don't think carrying the baby was really a preferable option.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Why not? 6 and 7 year olds are perfectly capable of walking on their own two feet, sometimes for pretty long distances. I doubt the parents had to carry them too.

It occurs to me that perhaps the couple were not the parents, but were babysitting, and really were just completely clueless. I can't see anyone who already has two kids somehow not having a stroller for their youngest.
                    Last edited by anakhouri; 07-13-2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I think the 6 and 7 year old were from a different family, at a different restaurant, if I read the article correctly. Either way... WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        I'm not convinced they weren't trying for the wtf attention getting.
                        Of course they were. It would take more effort to drag an entire crib and make a scene than find a more suitable thing to carry a kid in.

Comment

Why not? 6 and 7 year olds are perfectly capable of walking on their own two feet, sometimes for pretty long distances. I doubt the parents had to carry them too.
                          No, but they might have decided that they wantet to keep hold of their hands, which is significantly more difficult when holding a baby.

I can't see anyone who already has two kids somehow not having a stroller for their youngest.
                          Oh? You can't see a couple having their two planned for children and subsequently ditching all of their baby gear when the youngest is too big for it, then getting a surprise third child a couple of years later?

However, as was pointed out, I got that bit wrong and the couple with the crib only had the one child with them, so it's all rather moot, anyway.

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                          Of course they were. It would take more effort to drag an entire crib and make a scene than find a more suitable thing to carry a kid in.
                          Not necessarily.

And how did they "make a scene"? They pushed the crib (it has wheels, so no dragging required) down the sidewalk, which was obviously large enough to accommodate it, and then asked if it would be ok to roll it up near the table.

Also, considering that the kid is a toddler, the choices left them would be a stroller that they would either not stay in or fuss about being left in, being carried and the put in a chair that the cafe might or might not have that the child might, again, either not stay in or start fussing over, let the child loose to run about, or rolling the crib over so that the child could toddle about and be contained at the same time.

The fact that they didn't think it was weird to roll a crib out in public was strange is enough of it's story on it's own without piling on additional details that just aren't presented.

Comment

No, but they might have decided that they wantet to keep hold of their hands, which is significantly more difficult when holding a baby.
                            Indeed... but you can't hold their hands while pushing around a crib, either.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              Indeed... but you can't hold their hands while pushing around a crib, either.
                              But you can let go of a crib to grab a kid. Can't do that with a baby at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X