Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monopoly Changes

http://www.mommyish.com/2013/07/26/n...in-30-minutes/

I'm not sure what this says about our society, but it makes me sad.

Isn't the point to crush your family opponents into oblivion in the most maddening game possible?
    I has a blog!

Wow. Talk about getting it completely wrong. That article should be soundly mocked by all and sundry.

Monopoly is not going anywhere. It'll be the same, hours-long battle to drain your fellow-players' bank accounts.

This is one of fifteen spin offs they've released, and is no more a danger to the classic game than any of the rest of them were.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All of the neat (and against the rules) side "additions" to the game made it SOOOOOO fun. The tide could turn on one roll of the dice (and no I am not talking about landing on Boardwalk/Park Place with a hotel). The wheeling and dealing, the deals, the side bets, etc.
      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
        All of the neat (and against the rules) side "additions" to the game made it SOOOOOO fun. The tide could turn on one roll of the dice (and no I am not talking about landing on Boardwalk/Park Place with a hotel). The wheeling and dealing, the deals, the side bets, etc.
        Or money on Free Parking instead of giving it to the bank?
        I has a blog!

Comment

Money on Free Parking is one of the things that makes the game take so long.

They *did* change the real game a few years ago, mostly in minor ways. My main problems with the update were that the rules were written in a way that answered certain specific questions but did a lousy job of laying the whole game out, and that they did away with the cute illustrations on the Chance and Community Chest cards in favor of dull, generic ones. Also there wasn't enough money to give all of us our starting amounts in the denominations listed and still have any ones in the bank, so virtually every transaction involved buying change from whoever'd managed to collect more than five 1's, and the till was designed in such a way that it couldn't actually be used as one. I solved all these problems by going on eBay and picking up a nice 50th Anniversary Edition, which not only has the old rules and such but also came with a double set of money and my favorite token of all, the Monopoly locomotive. Now if I could just find some people to play with...
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I still like to play with money on free parking. On the other hand, that's partially because I'm a good enough player that it rarely extends the game long. ( there are techniques you can use that basically guarantee a win. Basically, think about what the most common squares to land on are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
              That's the best side rule of all.

Lost count of how many times I whipped my stepbrother's ass just by rolling and landing on Free Parking.
              If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

I never knew that the money on free parking was a house rule until I was nearly 20.
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                  That was one of the illegal side things I was talking about.

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                  I still like to play with money on free parking. On the other hand, that's partially because I'm a good enough player that it rarely extends the game long. ( there are techniques you can use that basically guarantee a win. Basically, think about what the most common squares to land on are.
                  Everyone seems to go for the Green and Dark Blue properties and load them up with houses and hotels. The best thing is to get one set of properties on each side of the board or at least 2 or more RRs.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                  The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Monopoly was a game we seemingly reserved for family holidays. I don't recall EVER finishing a single game.

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                      That was one of the illegal side things I was talking about.

Everyone seems to go for the Green and Dark Blue properties and load them up with houses and hotels. The best thing is to get one set of properties on each side of the board or at least 2 or more RRs.
                      not quite- the most visited square is the Jail, because there are a good half-dozen ways to end up there. the most common dice roll is 6, 7 or 8. the Orange properties are therefore the most likely to be visited. ( this only changes if you use different dice) get them, and you opponents will find it tough to win, albeit not impossible.

Comment

I knew there was a reason I loved collecting orange.

Comment

When you are playing one-on-one it's at least an hour or two, but when you're playing with four people, it can take all day. My father was one of those people who never quits, and he'll fight to the bitter end. That made the games that much more exciting, yet at the same time there were those moments where you just feel like ending the damn thing and do something else. Sometimes even if I were about to go bankrupt and stumble upon a fortune I'd get so frustrated that the game was going to continue for an indeterminate amount of time.

It's a good game to play with quick-minded individuals, too... there's nothing more frustrating than an indecisive player who had to spend 5 minutes deciding if they wanted to purchase an available piece of property they landed on, or if they wanted to agree to a trade.

Comment

Yes, orange is most landed on because of Jail. But the same effect, though not as condensed, applies to the next roll, and that lands on a block with higher rents.

One problem is that, for any property you land on, it's better to own it than not. So most people are going to buy most of what they land on. With four or more people, chances are nobody will have a naturally occurring monopoly, and nobody with sense is going to agree to a trade that gives an opponent a better one than they're getting in return, which just about any deal does. Last game I played headed that way, so I started selling off properties one at a time for cash to whoever could make the most use of them. Inflated prices, like 800 or so for Tennessee Ave, but it made the game more interesting and got me enough of a pile of money that I could keep playing.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I used to enjoy the computer version of Monopoly, with the jazzy music and the animated tokens and scenes. Unfortunately, the version I have is too old for my current computer, I'll have to find one that's better suited.
                              People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                              If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Working...
                              X