This is why you don't cut corners on a big construction project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why you don't cut corners on a big construction project

You end up with a 47-storey building with no elevator...

To be fair, there was a perfectly suitable elevator system in the original, 20-storey design. But when you get ambitious and more than double the height of the building, that whole system needs to be redesigned. But they just went wit the original, and it's not capable of operating in that building.

I wonder how cheap the rent will be if you have to walk up 47 flights of stairs. Pizza delivery places will blackball it pretty quickly, I'd imagine.

I suppose a helicopter pilot's lounge could rent out the top floor...

I think that climb could kill my Mother.

Comment

Im thinking this was a government project.

Comment

A building that size could support its own pizza delivery place, and, assuming retrofitting functional elevators is impossible, install something along the lines of a pneumatic tube or dumbwaiter system.

At worst (assuming they don't abandon the thing) they could do what I've seen on some much smaller buildings: run a separate elevator building up the side. In this case it will spoil the intended look, but it's about the only way you'll get tenants.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It looks like two buildings that are connected by floors at the top. I wonder if they put elevators in one of the buildings, but forget about the other.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            A building that size could support its own pizza delivery place, and, assuming retrofitting functional elevators is impossible, install something along the lines of a pneumatic tube or dumbwaiter system.

At worst (assuming they don't abandon the thing) they could do what I've seen on some much smaller buildings: run a separate elevator building up the side. In this case it will spoil the intended look, but it's about the only way you'll get tenants.
            they can't put an elevator down the side: the roof can't support the elevator machinery.

besides, they have a rather more basic problem: the foundations can only support a 20-storey tall building, and it has 47. ( it was massively expanded at the last minute...)

Comment

Yeah, as a skyscraper enthusiast, this makes me cringe, big time. Dear gods, considering how much care has gone into the elevator systems of so many major buildings, this is just an epic cock-up. However, Thyssenkrup might be able to pull their butts out of the fire- they make an elevator system where two entirely separate cars can run in the same shaft, independent of each other.

Now, that foundation problem on the other hand...ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                Im thinking this was a government project.
                The project was financed by Spain's worst offender in the financial meltdown. There was a lot of greed involved in this project.

Fixing the foundation won't be like fixing a foundation issue on a house; you can't jack it up to fix it. I wonder if it is even possible. Doesn't Spain have a building code and inspectors to stop such stupidity?
                Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                  Doesn't Spain have a building code and inspectors to stop such stupidity?
                  Sure they do. And just like anywhere a couple hundred will ensure a particular inspector and another couple hundred will ensure a perfect inspection of something not structurally sound. And it's still cheaper than doing the job right.

Comment

Cheaper...until the building falls down?

Comment

Over, more likely, which is actually worse. Think Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                        they can't put an elevator down the side: the roof can't support the elevator machinery.

besides, they have a rather more basic problem: the foundations can only support a 20-storey tall building, and it has 47. ( it was massively expanded at the last minute...)
                        That's more or less what I was thinking - the infrastructure for a 20-floor building isn't going to be able to sustain the weight of a 47-floor building. You'd need a lot more structural reinforcement built into it from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                          Cheaper...until the building falls down?
                          Until they have to pay out for wrongful death suits.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                            Until they have to pay out for wrongful death suits.
                            That's why it would be insured up the wazoo.
                            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post

The foundation would definitely be another problem. But while there may be any number of reasons my suggestion may not work for buildings of this size, the existing roof wouldn't be one of them. I said a *separate building* for the elevators. Their mechanisms would be contained within it.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X