Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tripping Judge

Link to video

Girl was on trial over having Xanax on her (bullshit crime in the first place).

Judge sets 5000 dollar bail and she says "Adios". Judge doesn't like this so he orders her back and increases her bail to 10000. She flips him off (which I'm not going to defend) and then he sentences her to a month in jail over this.

Look, she was an idiot, I'm not saying otherwise. But I can't see the judge as the hero of this story. He was being a petty dickhead by raising her bail in the first place. Flipping him off was stupid, so is all this "contempt of court" bullshit that judges like this guy love to abuse. She's just a stupid teenage girl, not a dangerous felon.

Sounds like a judge local to me. He fined a guy 50k because he "thought" he saw this kid toss his class ring into a Bon fire. He also followed (and then berated) a college age student home because she cut him off.
    Recently his office his been sending out letters claiming people haven't paid off their old speeding tickets, and then fining them even if they have proof they already paid it off.

Comment

I saw this video a while back.

First of all it is not a BS crime. Xanax is a controlled substance (a benzodiazepine); you can't have it without a valid prescription and she didn't have one. She is guilty of drug possession.

Secondly, she was a ditz and didn't take the proceedings seriously. While the judge could have been more professional, when you are in court you behave respectfully to the guy who sets your bail . . . you don't act like a silly ass, and then flip off the judge when you don't like how he reacts.

I don't feel sorry for this girl at all. She needed a serious reality check and that's what she got.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

We have more important things to deal with than someone having a Xanax on them tying up the court systems. But regardless, when you are in court, you act professional. You do not give judges a flippant attitude. You do not disrespect the court.

Some people just can't learn until the punish becomes severe enough.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          We have more important things to deal with than someone having a Xanax on them tying up the court systems. But regardless, when you are in court, you act professional. You do not give judges a flippant attitude. You do not disrespect the court.

Some people just can't learn until the punish becomes severe enough.
          I agree about the Xanax, but that's not how the laws are currently written.

I'll agree we need to change the laws and get people like this in drug treatment rather than in jail.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Not a power-tripping judge. This is arraignment court and it's not the time to argue guilt or innocence, you wait for trial. As well, in ANY courtroom you respect the judges authority. To not do so is contempt of court and it can and will get you in more trouble than you would originally have had.

Look Rage, I know you have had issues with the legal system but that doesn't mean every representative of it is some power-mad dictator.

Comment

I saw the video when it first happened, as it was big news down here, as it happened just up the road in Miami.

Not only was the girl acting frivolously, idiotic, and disrespectful, and perhaps even a bit drugged out (the judge asked her if she was on anything at the time), but the judge was Hispanic, and had a noticeable accent. After he gave her a pretty much standard bond for the crime she was charged with, she sauntered off, throwing over her shoulder a flippant "Adios." At which point he called her back, asked her what she had said, she repeated it, and he then doubled her bond. She started to argue, and he asked her if she'd like more, as I recall. (It's been awhile, as I said.) She then did the first smart thing of the day, and shut her damn mouth.

What you may not know is when she next appeared before the same judge, she was polite, quiet, reserved, respectful, and contrite, not only apologizing for her previous behavior, but admitting she had been on drugs during the first appearance. And she said she would accept whatever the judge decided. She acted, in other words, the way one should probably act in front of a judge once you've fucked up in front of that judge.

I have a very simple philosophy that has served me well over the years. When dealing with police officers or judges, I have a VERY small vocabulary:

"Yes, sir."
              "No, sir."
              "Yes, ma'am."
              "No, ma'am."

This girl was an idiot, and while you can argue the validity of the law she violated (and I'd probably agree with your argument), the idea that this was some power mad judge is one I don't accept. He wasn't dealing with anyone of consequence, just a young, drugged out ditz. And judges have the right to bring the hammer down on those who don't behave in their court room. That right and that power they've been entrusted with, and the threat of that hammer, keeps people from misbehaving even more when in court.

I'm not always a fan of the legal system. It certainly has flaws. But this judge, in this instance, acting this way, was not one of them.

Comment

Working...
              X