Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Church Thinks Vaccine Causes Austim. Causes Measles Outbreak Instead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Thinks Vaccine Causes Austim. Causes Measles Outbreak Instead.

Bravo, idiots.

The only upside is the Church seems to have reversed its stance on vaccine now. =p

ever notice how people change their minds when the result of not vaccinating becomes clear? ( Incidentally, the arguments are even more ridiculous now that when they were first made. The argument goes that one specific compound in the vaccine causes autism. That compound has now been eliminated from vaccines.)

Comment

It was eliminated from somewhere, Denmark I think, about 20 years ago. They report kids with autism at the same rate as everywhere else, use of that one ingredient have no discernible effect.

Apparently in the US, there are financial incentives for diagnosing people with conditions, which sounds to me like one of the stupidest things you could ever do.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm not saying there is anything to the ingredient causing autism, just that the ingredient that the anti-vaccine crowd says causes autism has already been eliminated from the vaccine. ( In other words, even IF the anti-vaccine crowd were correct at the time, they aren't now)

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          It was eliminated from somewhere, Denmark I think, about 20 years ago. They report kids with autism at the same rate as everywhere else, use of that one ingredient have no discernible effect.
          In Japan, they didn't use the MMR vaccine at all, instead using one vaccine per disease and found the rate was the same.

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          I'm not saying there is anything to the ingredient causing autism, just that the ingredient that the anti-vaccine crowd says causes autism has already been eliminated from the vaccine. ( In other words, even IF the anti-vaccine crowd were correct at the time, they aren't now)
          Plus the study was debunked by a number of different physicians and eventually the guy who funded said study was discovered to have been a fraud and fudged the numbers because some group paid him to do so.

The current arguments I've heard surrounding vaccines include:

-They cause diabetes, lupus and <insert autoimmune disease here>

-My kids were never vaccinated and have never gotten sick in their lives/I was vaccinated and never got sick (correlation does not imply causation, plus really bad logic)

-They contain harmful ingredients that cause any number of issues (I do believe that all they contain is a small amount of whatever you're vaccinating against plus a preservative)

-Something relating to doctors working for big pharma and/or receiving funds for every vaccine distributed (ignoring the fact that vaccines aren't always administered by a doctor)

-My vaccinated kid still picked up <insert illness here> (usually used by parents of multiple children) and came out fine. (vaccines are not a magical cure-all, the response your child had was a result of his/her immune system WORKING)

-It weakens the immune system! (have you ever seen a vaccinated kid in hospital with complications from measles?)

-My kid got sick after receiving <insert vaccine here> (I don't know about overseas, but over here, they list the side effects associated with each vaccine. Just because panadol doesn't cause any noticeable side effects doesn't mean that all medicines/vaccines are side-effect free)

-So many people had a reaction to <vaccine> why should I get one? (this occurred in the wake of the Gardrasil vaccine being introduced, but the rates haven't dropped too much)

-They're unsafe! (so if you were in surgery and had a complication through no fault of the surgeons, are you going to state that hospitals are unsafe?)

Down here, they're trying to combat the issue with $2000 being offered to parents who actually vaccinate their kids. More here

The stupid makes my head hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17
            Down here, they're trying to combat the issue with $2000 being offered to parents who actually vaccinate their kids.
            Well, in the article its noted that all these children are home schooled specifically because they would have to be vaccinated to attend public school. Though honestly I'm more worried about idiots like this homeschooling their children than the vaccination part of the article. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
              -They contain harmful ingredients that cause any number of issues (I do believe that all they contain is a small amount of whatever you're vaccinating against plus a preservative)
              They have various adjuvants, which is tiny amounts of substances to induce a stronger/quicker immune response. basic info can be found here

-Something relating to doctors working for big pharma and/or receiving funds for every vaccine distributed (ignoring the fact that vaccines aren't always administered by a doctor)
              and ignoring that the government has to pay the companies to keep manufacturing vaccines as there's no profit in them.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Well, in the article its noted that all these children are home schooled specifically because they would have to be vaccinated to attend public school. Though honestly I'm more worried about idiots like this homeschooling their children than the vaccination part of the article. >.>
                In NSW (where the biggest problem is), children are required to be registered as being home-schooled. They CAN argue for exemption based on religious grounds, but those are usually reserved for cases such as cult-like groups or tight-knit communities. Given that the anti-vaccine nut "church" is just that (and also Queensland-based), I doubt they'd receive an exemption from registration.

Registration requires that they follow the Australian Curriculum and that they keep records of this that are dated, so they can't just take little johnny's artwork and go "but he's learning about SCIENCE!"

Oh and I don't mean to hijack this thread too much, but it's vaguely within the topic: the (now former) leader of the anti-vaccine nuts in Aussieland took out a restraining order on a guy who was running a Stop the AVN page on Facebook, making claims that he had done nasty stuff to her among other things. He appealed said restraining order (not 100% sure on what grounds) and won. She now has to pay his legal fees. Unsurprisingly, she's broke.
                Last edited by fireheart17; 08-26-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  Bravo, idiots.

The only upside is the Church seems to have reversed its stance on vaccine now. =p
                  Not really. She's still making excuses for the vaccine denier crowd:

The concerns we have had are primarily with very young children who have family history of autism and with bundling too many immunizations at one time
                  Since those concerns are completely baseless (vaccinations don't cause autism whether there is a family history or not and bundling is also not a cause), she's just dodging past the real issue: her outspoken denial is encouraging parents to skip vaccinations and she will continue to do this.

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                  It's more than that. There is NO connection between vaccines and autism AT ALL. They were always wrong and continue to be wrong.

Environmental issues are probably the issue though we're not sure in what way. There are clear indications the problem begins in utero.
                  Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Oh and I don't mean to hijack this thread too much, but it's vaguely within the topic: the (now former) leader of the anti-vaccine nuts in Aussieland took out a restraining order on a guy who was running a Stop the AVN page on Facebook, making claims that he had done nasty stuff to her among other things. He appealed said restraining order (not 100% sure on what grounds) and won. She now has to pay his legal fees. Unsurprisingly, she's broke.
                    Dear $DEITY, that woman is dense.

Ms Dorey sought her AVO because she was upset about the publication of her home address on Twitter.
                    and then

In her new fundraising campaign she provides her bank account details on the internet so she can receive the cash.
                    So she takes legal action over publicly available information being made public, then willingly posts private information...

Comment

For those who may worry: I'm in the affected zone for the Melbourne part of the Australian measles outbreak.

However, my family is being aware and alert, and we have good doctors and a nearby public (free/taxpaid) hospital.

My family is also all immunised; so our risk is minimal.

Comment

This ought to blow the minds of the AVN members:

There is a statistically significant occurrence of autism among living beings that eat "people food". Autism is virtually unknown among living beings that eat dog food. Therefore, to avoid autism, you should feed your children dog food.

Note: I'm not a veterenarian, but it's my understanding that dogs don't get autism.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                          This ought to blow the minds of the AVN members:

There is a statistically significant occurrence of autism among living beings that eat "people food". Autism is virtually unknown among living beings that eat dog food. Therefore, to avoid autism, you should feed your children dog food.

Note: I'm not a veterenarian, but it's my understanding that dogs don't get autism.
                          I get the feeling that's pretty much the rationale in some of these people's minds. It's really similar to the DHMO fiasco that nearly banned products that contained water in one town because "Dihydrogen monoxide causes burns in its gas state, is used in nuclear reactors as coolant, and is used as a fire retardant."

Comment

Given that the "scientist" who first started the autism/vaccine link story himself has said he lied, how in the hell can people even still think that the "link" exists? O.o

Comment

Originally posted by EmiOfBrie View Post
                              Given that the "scientist" who first started the autism/vaccine link story himself has said he lied, how in the hell can people even still think that the "link" exists? O.o
                              They think he was coerced or forced into saying it. You know. Big Pharma putting the pressure on him. The whole retraction was a ploy that came out of nowhere just as a new vaccine was coming out. After all, if the paper was fake, why would it take so long to retract it?

Yes, I died a little inside typing that. Not as much as I have from hearing such a dangerous misunderstanding of the truth over and over.
                              "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                              We are contented, because he says we are
                              He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Working...
                              X