Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia SC, **** you homeless

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/22/...outh-carolina/

I'm seeing articles about this everywhere about how they are forcably removing homeless from the town. One part I'm only seeing in a few articles though

Coercing suspected homeless into shelter on the edge of town is just one of the plan’s controversial aspects. Once at the shelter, the potentially unwilling residents would be prevented from leaving except by specific appointment. The only approved way to exit the installation is by reserving a shuttle ride. In order to further ensure shelter-goers do not return to the business district, a police officer will be placed on the road leading downtown to redirect homeless people away from the area.
    Wow remember when people had rights?

I have two words for the town council's plan: False imprisonment.

All that has to happen is one homeless guy goes to the shelter and is not allowed to freely leave, and the ACLU has an ironclad case against the city.

What dumb fuck thought up this loser of an idea?

Granted, I understand the frustration of being forced to share your downtown with the homeless. Cops CAN tell them to shuffle along and not run afoul of civil liberties, and use the nuisance laws if they won't move. But that's it.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Maybe the same dumb fuck that bused all of Santa Ana's homeless people to shelters in neighboring towns...

Out of sight, out of mind, right?
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Maybe the same dumb fuck that bused all of Santa Ana's homeless people to shelters in neighboring towns...

It doesn't work. They usually end up coming back. I've seen it happen.
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

That's pretty much how Chicago "cleaned up" some of their projects like Cabrini Green... they moved the residents to cities two or three hours away (ie Springfield, Champaign-Urbana, Bloomington-Normal, Peoria, Rockford). The thought process: It isn't our problem, fuck downstate, we don't have those "issues" anymore, downstate does.

Comment

There's an issue right now with Nevada supposedly dumping mentally ill and homeless patients in San Francisco.

S.F. threatens to sue Nevada over alleged 'patient-dumping'
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Hmmmm...bussing undesirables somewhere...I bet that has never happened before.

Comment

Actually, I've heard about "Greyhound Therapy" at least 30 years ago.

Comment

Here in Minneapolis, we've been getting a lot of Chicago's "problem people" for the last couple decades And yes, it's because Chicago sends them here.

Basically, the end result is we're getting our own problem.

Comment

Pittsburgh and Allegheny County have been doing the same thing for the past few years. Rather than deal with the problems of poverty and crime inside the city limits, they'll move the 'problems' outside, so the rest of us have to deal with them.

For example, just over the hill from me, is an apartment complex. For years, it wasn't too bad. Not Beverly Hills, but not Watts either. Then, within the past 15 years or so, they started taking HUD and Section 8 tenants. Within a year, crime in the surrounding area skyrocketed! Multiple shootings, drugs, prostitution, carjackings, etc. all went on. I do know that it wasn't all of the HUD/Section 8 people doing those things. Unfortunately, the programs designed to help people also brought in the ghetto scum as well, which *we* have to deal with now.

Back on topic, the city of Pittsburgh has forcibly removed several homeless settlements over the years--the last being a huge cardboard box and tent city under a parkway overpass. Also gone, were the settlements near Point State Park, and in certain downtown alleys. All were removed after years of complaints about panhandling and sanitary issues.

Comment

Originally posted by EmiOfBrie View Post
                      Here in Minneapolis, we've been getting a lot of Chicago's "problem people" for the last couple decades And yes, it's because Chicago sends them here.

Basically, the end result is we're getting our own problem.
                      Aww... and I thought Downstate Illinois was special...

Thanks for ruining my fantasy :P

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
                        Aww... and I thought Downstate Illinois was special...

Thanks for ruining my fantasy :P
                        Did you not know that in Illinois ONLY Chicago and the surrounding counties are all that mattered. The rest of the state is just wilderness and full of I do not know what.

Well maybe East St. Louis and that whole shithole situation.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Forced Relocation is an issue with homeless populations that has been a problem for quite sometime. It's really unfair to both the areas that the homeless people are deposited in, and the homeless people as well. Even more so if the people involved are suffering from mental illnesses.

However, what Columbus is planning is so much worse. I agree with Pancea that this is a definite case of False Imprisonment. You can't just lock human beings in a building and tell them they can't leave. That is not only unlawful, but savage. I wonder if the people at the shelter are even allowed to communicate with the outside world once they are forced in.

Comment

Working...
                          X