Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social worker doesn't want to do her job....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social worker doesn't want to do her job....

....And ends up causing a student to commit suicide.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3934016.html

I'm not normally for lawsuits but I think one is in order here....
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

What the ever-loving fuck!

Was Aurora so long ago that students with mental issues begging to be helped are being turned away?

And "a fucking waste of space"?!? Who says this shit?

Also, I question the fact that her family had to leave their own house in the middle of the night and call the police because the girl was a danger to herself and those around her, but she's not unstable enough for hospital care?
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Also, I question the fact that her family had to leave their own house in the middle of the night and call the police because the girl was a danger to herself and those around her, but she's not unstable enough for hospital care?
      It seems to be the common attitude these days: Keep the hospital beds for the completely incoherent, poo-flinging, compulsive self-harming, anorexic/bulimic folks and send the suicidal ones home.

On a similar note, one of the comments kinda made me think of something else-they mentioned that someone who "needed" a boob job was able to get it publicly funded (for "confidence" reasons), but they couldn't fund mental health issues.

On a Facebook "mums n bubs" group in Aussieland, someone asked about the cost of tummy tucks (after they'd had child #3 IIRC) and the responses from that just made me want to go and report them for rorting Medicare (Aussie health scheme). The comments varied, with some recommending particular plastic surgeons and giving costs, some were recommending particular plastic surgeons and how much it would cost if done privately and the rest were along the lines of "If you state to the doc/surgeon that you're depressed over your belly fat, then you can have it publicly funded." (a variation of THAT was that apparently the skin "apron" can cause health issues )

Sidenote: in Aussieland, Medicare does NOT cover ANY form of cosmetic/plastic surgery unless there is a medical reason for it and this is assessed by a plastic surgeon. An example might be for a boob reduction and/or breast lift where the breasts are causing back pain or breathing difficulties. If they state they need a breast lift because their boobs are sagging and they want to look nice on the other hand, that's a no-no.

In most cases, Medicare will pay a % of the costs and the rest is doctors fees aka the "gap". Some doctors will allow medicare to cover 100% of the cost, this is known as bulk-billing.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17;143748=
        (a variation of THAT was that apparently the skin "apron" can cause health issues )

Yes it can - you can develop sores in the folds that ulcerate and do not heal properly [especially if you are diabetic or have other healing issues, or a tendency towards infections]

You want to see horrifying, google some combination of skin fold, yeast and ulcer - think tummy bedsores.

Comment

While you can get sores from extra folds of flesh, you have to have more going on than merely a fold of skin, usually involving a lack of proper hygiene.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

While you can get sores from extra folds of flesh, you have to have more going on than merely a fold of skin, usually involving a lack of proper hygiene.
            I wore a hole in the skin behind my leg riding in the minivan for an hour because I couldn't shift easily, and the fabric of my pants was a fairly coarse weave in a soft cotton - my hygiene is just fine. Skin is actually a fairly weak substance when abraded - and I am *careful* because I am diabetic and I value my health. Someone who is wearing underwear with the band tucked in a flap of tummy skin can easily abrade a hole minor enough to not get caught immediately and an infection can set in in a matter of hours in the right conditions. Abrasions, sweat, warm or hot weather, microbes - flesh eating infection or worse ... keeping in mind the microbe population of clean skin is still in the millions. Ouch.

Comment

Pretty much this. Although I do believe that Medicare will cover it only if it gets to the stage of actual ulcers developing, not that the patient is at risk of developing them.

The comment that I noted however, came off as more that the nurse had told them that there would be incredibly serious complications if they kept the "apron."

Comment

I usually take a couple showers a day. Once right after work and then one before bed to just to feel clean to sleep.Well when I can sleep...anyhoo...

When I get stressed out or if I am in the very depressive mode I can feel it start. Within a hour the skin is practically liquefied and I'm bleeding. So some things may be caused by lack of hygiene but lots of sores can be caused by medicines, lack of certain enzymes, the skin constantly resting against itself or something else.

Comment

That poor girl and her family. That is just horrible. I mean, when it gets to the point that A&E are noting the patient is suicidal, shouldn't they at least take the girl in for a few evaluations. I mean it really sounds like in her final few days before she succeeded in her suicide attempt that she was a real danger to herself and others. It's just tragic that things like this happen.

I know personally that when I was seeing a social worker she sent me twice for more serious evaluations, and I was told i was "just going through a stage." Three years later I'm still going through the same stage it seems, I guess i'll have to try getting help again.

Comment

Wow, how the fark. Up here that's the first thing they checked with me, at every stage, was making sure I was not having even the slightest suicidal thought. I have not one but two 24/7 government support line numbers on my fridge ( One for if I'm having a mental crisis or even if I just need to talk and the other is a 24/7 medical advice line that always has trained nurses on duty on the line. Both are free government services here. ).

Up here if you have the slightest suicidal inclination or crisis you can call, or call 911 and they'll connect you, or just go to the hospital and the ER will have you in front of a psychiatrist inside of 15 minutes. When I ended up in the ER breaking down under my anxiety disorder / chronic injury pain they had me in front of a paramedic in 10 minutes then a doctor 5 minutes after that.

20 minutes and a few tests later they had be pleasantly drugged and on my way home in a cab with a little envelope of enough happy pills to last me a week till I could see a doc for a prescription.

And it didn't me cost a cent.
                    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

20 minutes and a few tests later they had be pleasantly drugged and on my way home in a cab with a little envelope of enough happy pills to last me a week till I could see a doc for a prescription.

And it didn't me cost a cent.
                      Hahaha. Oh man that's a good one. Sorry I've here in the US you'd never see that quality of care without throwing money at the insurance company and/or doctor.

Strangely enough I always thought Australian had good health coverage. How does one miss someone being so suicidal that multiple attempts were made and they still don't get help? I'm still trying to figure out the logic where they admit to being liable but that she didn't need to be admitted.

Comment

Originally posted by KitterCat View Post
                        Hahaha. Oh man that's a good one. Sorry I've here in the US you'd never see that quality of care without throwing money at the insurance company and/or doctor.
                        The stupid part is that it would be cheaper for you to cross the border and go to the ER here. They had ER fees listed for non-citizens not covered under our social security at the check in desk. An uninsured non-citizen still only has to pay a couple hundred dollars for a round trip through the ER here.

Also, they had a Tim Horton's inside the hospital ( Seriously ). Because Canada. >.>

Comment

I want a Tim Hortans. I don't even know what type of restaurant that is, but it's got to have better food than the hospitals out here.

Comment

Tim Horton's (or Timmies as we like to call them) is Canada's primary Coffee/dougnut shop. It's as common in Canada as Starbucks is in the US, just a lot less pretentious and a lot better coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                              Tim Horton's (or Timmies as we like to call them) is Canada's primary Coffee/dougnut shop. It's as common in Canada as Starbucks is in the US, just a lot less pretentious and a lot better coffee.
                              Not to mention they have Timbits... *drools*

Comment

Working...
                              X