Parents vs Non-Parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bex1218 View Post
    Being a cashier at hellgreens, I see it all. I usually comment "Well, someone is not happy" when I hear a child screaming across the store.
    My standard comment in situations like that is usually something along the lines of "I'm glad I'm an uncle."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      I'd start calling the cops on the screaming, claiming concern that something bad had happened. >_>
      The cops have been called...many times. Nothing changes though. The noise will quiet down for a few days, only to start up again. What usually happens, is that the cops will come, tell them to shut the hell up, and then leave. No charges get filed.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a "Chuck and Diane" situation. Some of you might remember me posting about those two idiots on CS. For those that don't, Chuck and Diane were alcoholics. They were constantly beating each other and their kids up all the time. Lots of shit breaking, arguing 24/7 over there. The last straw came, when Chuck was bombed out of his mind, and decided it was a good idea to repair his garage door. I don't know what he did, but the door apparently fell on him, pinning him on the floor His wife was furious, because "everyone" ignored his cries for help. Sorry bitch, but if you argue and fight that much, sooner or later people tune you out.

Comment

Originally posted by hinakiba777 View Post
        I recall one time at a grocery store/ big box store where this kid starts a chain reaction of meltdowns through the store with other kids. I don't know if the noise bugged them, or what, but it went from one little boy having a tantrum to what seemed like 20 screaming kids staggered throughout the store. It was hell. I'm happy I didn't work there.
        My mom called that empathy crying. If it was one or two kids she could keep me calm but when it got more she would take me out of the situation completely. I don't know why I would be crying but I just knew other kids were and got some reason that meant I had to too.

Comment

Ours is not a store where people with small children linger much, so the crying and shrieking we generally hear is from somewhere else in the mall. However,
          one day there was a shrieking toddler further up the hallway ... and the parent was obviously not moving. The shrieking continued, unabated, from the same spot for at least 20 minutes. We wondered whether the parent or parents had earbuds in, and thus couldn't hear, or had just abandoned the child in the centre of the mall hallway so they could do their shopping in peace ...

If it's late I assume the child is tired, hungry, wet or any or all of those. And I don't snap at the parents because, first, it's rude; and second, unless I can actually see there's a problem, how do I know what's going on? I don't. However, if I'm in a restaurant and the shrieking is coming from very close, I will get up (quietly) and move to another table, as far away as I can get. If that offends the caretaker(s), so be it. I didn't get snarky with you, since I don't know why your child is carrying on, so don't get snarky with me if I don't want to have to listen.

Comment

I am childfree, but contrary to the beliefs of some parents, that does not make me an evil Communist baby hater. In the comments of STFU Parents, I've had parents attack me for my views, sometimes even for no reason after I made an innocuous comment. At which I reply that it's news to me that I'm a child hater, seeing as I have five nieces and nephews.

Regarding screaming children in public, I'm sympathetic if I see parents worn out and actively trying to do something about the screaming; not so much if they're too busy blabbering on their phone to pay attention to the kid. And I hate with a passion the excuse of "It's just happy noise" cuz happy or sad noise, there are some places it does not belong. If I am walking in the park, and a child is running about and screaming, then that's the place for it. If I'm in McDonalds and a child is screaming, then I just try to tune it out with listening to songs in my head (and visualising my fallopean tubes being tied in a firm childfree knot).

However, in the cinema or at a posh restaurant is not the place. If your child can't cope with such situations, or won't behave, then leave them with a sitter when you go out. I have Aspergers and, according to my parents, could be very difficult. However, they soon found a way to keep me quiet; ie, allow me to take a book whereever I went. I'm sure that some people were snotty about a "rude" child being allowed to read at the table in a restaurant, but that surely would be preferable to the alternative?
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
              Sorry, it sometimes is. A lot of times, actually.
              I prefer to label it as "case-by-case", rather than it always being the parents fault. Sometimes it is poor planning, sometimes it's a case of an unexpected routine change, sometimes the kid does have sensory issues.

Originally posted by protege View Post
              The cops have been called...many times. Nothing changes though. The noise will quiet down for a few days, only to start up again. What usually happens, is that the cops will come, tell them to shut the hell up, and then leave. No charges get filed.
              I take it that calling CPS is not an option?

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                I take it that calling CPS is not an option?
                Considering how unbalanced the dad is...having CPS grab his kids might send him over the edge. I don't know about you, but in a small neighborhood, it would be easy to retaliate. I don't want to wake up one morning...and find my car vandalized

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                  Considering how unbalanced the dad is...having CPS grab his kids might send him over the edge. I don't know about you, but in a small neighborhood, it would be easy to retaliate. I don't want to wake up one morning...and find my car vandalized
                  anonymous phone call? remote phone call? They don't have to know it's you...

Comment

Working...
                  X