Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe job ad fail

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226725359640

So this cafe in Aussieland decided to post up a job ad on Facebook (as have a number of companies), but basically stated that they didn't want "bullshitters" or "people with "conditions"" (mental illness). Of course, they've violated anti-discrimination laws for the latter.

When called out on their bullshit relating to the second one, they backflipped, stating that they didn't want people who were chronically absent from work and that they'd be willing to work with people who have a mental illness, but are capable of rocking up to work.

Thoughts?

Personally, they've gone entirely the wrong way about ensuring that they have someone who's reliable. They've even mentioned they've had trouble retaining staff, so I'm wondering if it's a management issue as well.
    In reference to mental health, if the person calls up sick and gets a medical certificate, then they're sick and that's all they can do. >.>

No company wants chronic absenteeism, but hooboy, did they EVER go about that the wrong way. My knowledge of mental illnesses is minimal but AFAIK mental illnesses come in all shapes, sizes and degrees, and having one is not a guarantee that the person is incapable of operating in the "real world." It does sound to me like it's a management issue, especially if they are already having trouble retaining staff. I'll bet that even a genuine doctor's note is greeted with scorn and veiled threats, so that the good staff leave ASAP and the bad ones get fired ASAP.

Comment

The way I read the ad, the bit on depression shows that the owner/manager thinks that people who are depressed are taking advantage of their diagnosis. But mostly what I see is someone who is fed up with slackers and their excuses.

Look at it this way: we've had some members (including myself) who've lost beloved pets and were so upset they couldn't face work. Sadness is sadness.

But I can understand the POV of a manager who is left with a hole in a shift to fill for what seems like a silly reason.

It was a dumb ad. I think the problem for that employer goes deeper than an ad; he's someone who views his employees as disposable and doesn't invest in team building.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
      X