Annoying Things A Guest Told Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Things A Guest Told Me

I hope this is the correct spot for this. I've been lurking Fratching for years and finally got some good material to put up.

The customer being referred to is in this CS post:
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...73#post1174373

He walked into my (National Park) hotel lobby days before the shutdown and spouted off a bunch of nonsense that still has me angry.

The short version of the points he made in his random, random ramblings (with my ramblier responses in parentheses below each point) is as follows:

1.) Soon the US will erupt in civil war, and 2/3rds of the population will be dead.

(Actually, this one seems vaguely likely to me, but that's probably due to my perspective as someone whose income is suddenly gone due to the shutdown, and as someone who's living among a lot of angry, angry laid-off workers. I do forsee a lot of rioting and looting locally, but...probably only locally. I think the American people are too complacent to actually take up arms, by and large. I think it's far more likely that the rest of the world will [continue to] point and laugh at our government, and eventually someone might invade, depending on how long the shutdown lasts.)

2.) Wolves are bad and we should kill them, and he plans to hunt them for the bounty Cabela's is allegedly offering for their pelts. They are bad because, according to him, not only do they kill livestock, they kill and eat humans on a regular basis, and this is becoming a huge problem in Idaho and Montana.

(As someone with a tattoo of a mated pair of wolves who were ruthlessly hunted down and killed by a bounty hunter in the 1890s, I took considerable umbrage to this. Yeah, maybe reintroduction wasn't fully thought out, but it's pretty asinine to stand there saying "they killed off all the elk, now they're killing the livestock!" like it personally offends you. WELL DUH. What the hell ELSE are they going to eat? And I'm soooo sorry that you can't eat your precious elk meat (he told me several times how much he liked eating elk) because apparently elk are now endangered or something. And wolves occasionally attack people, but eat them? Maybe if they were starving. I mean, he made it sound like there were daily wolf attacks on humans in Idaho and Montana, and the ranchers were getting eaten on a regular basis.)

3.) He used to have high security clearance and Knows Stuff About War, therefore, the US should take his advice and nuke the Middle East. Like, all of the Middle East. Just send a submarine over there with a nuke. In 45 minutes, it would "solve all of our problems".

Um...that is incredibly ignorant and racist and so damn stupid I just don't friggin' know where to start. So I won't. I know all y'all will have intelligent things to say about this last point.

I swear to the gods, I was standing there going "Did this guy used to be called Uncle Vick?....Nah, he's gotta be trolling me...He is trolling, right?..."

Guy's a dick. Unfortunately, in this country we have a god given right to be dicks if we want to. It sucks he has to hold hapless employees as a captive audience to his rants, probably because anyone who can, runs like hell when he opens his trap.

You and the folks like you should start flooding your state legislators (local, state, and federal) with angry mail about the GOP's failure to get the budget done. This whole mess is because the Tea Party is a bunch of sore losers who have shut down the government just to hurt Obamacare. Time for them to grow up and hear from the people they're hurting.

If you're in a Tea Party state, find a way to get active and involved to vote the bastards out next year so they can't hurt innocent people with their BS anymore.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

It seems extremely unlikely to me that anyone will invade the US. Mass rioting leading to a war might happen, but an actual invasion is pretty much unlikely at this point. The US is part of the international community, and while we're a bit disfunctional at the moment, well... Belgium didn't have a government for a year and a half without invasions. Places in Africa and the Middle East go through civil wars without invasion. Nobody is sitting outside the US saying "Hey, you think we can take 'em yet?"
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

He's really just a crackpot. They're all over the place and come in different flavors. Some people think the government is stealing our thoughts or controlling the weather, others believe we are being infiltrated by lizard people from outer space, some of whom are elected politicians.

Originally posted by Panacea
        Unfortunately, in this country we have a god given right to be dicks if we want to.
        As a hotel on private property you do have the right to ask him to STFU or get out, especially if you consider his unwanted lectures harrassing or disturbing to other guests. In that case it doesn't even matter what the person is saying, even if they're making sense but still disturbing the staff and/or guests, they can be thrown out.

Also, it's unfortunate that people think that way, or that they have to stand on a soapbox preaching gibberish to anyone within earshot, but in terms of the rights given, I wouldn't have it any other way. As soon as you begin to give anyone the authority to choose who gets to say what, you start a very dangerous course into censorship. As long as the speaker isn't disturbing the peace (as this guy borderline could be) or is making realistic threats toward another or otherwise being dangerous in the process of speaking, we'll just have to smile and nod.

Comment

Americans would never actually exercise the reason they claim they need all their guns ( Government tyranny ). But by the same measure, no one would ever invade the US. A ground war in the US? Seriously? You people would make the Iraq insurgency look like 3 year old's Toys R Us tantrum. >.>

Never mind that that's no good way to invade the US. The logistics of it are overwhelming. Not only do you have to somehow capture a beachhead vs a country with the largest Navy and Airforce in the world. But then you need to move millions of troops safely across at least one ocean. Then on top of that, the US's north and south borders are covered by allies and the Atlantic is locked down by NATO. So you've have to somehow sneak across the pacific, aka the US Navy's playground, without being spotted by satellite.

God help that country that finally gives the US a reason to justify its military budget -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            Americans would never actually exercise the reason they claim they need all their guns ( Government tyranny ). But by the same measure, no one would ever invade the US. A ground war in the US? Seriously? You people would make the Iraq insurgency look like 3 year old's Toys R Us tantrum.
            Depending on how bad things get, some Americans may just support the invaders... I've hoped Canada would invade us for a while now.
            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
              Depending on how bad things get, some Americans may just support the invaders... I've hoped Canada would invade us for a while now.
              We're busy with other things.

Comment

Are you kidding? Why on earth would they WANT to? And what'd they do to deserve being saddled with us, anyway?
                Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  Thank you. I needed a laugh.

Thanks to everyone else for giving me a reality check. I am still worried about rioting and civil unrest, but now that I'm thinking about it...who wants us?

Comment

Supposedly during WWII, Admiral Yamamoto, Commander-In-Chief of the Japanese Imperial Navy, was quoted as saying "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Yamamoto had attended Harvard, lived in the States for several years and knew our culture pretty well. Whether he said it or not, it was accurate at the time and still is. We have an incredibly high rate of gun ownership and an invasion would be very difficult for this and other reasons.

Comment

I've hoped Canada would invade us for a while now.
                      Someone's had Timmie's hot chocolate, I see, and it's not just me.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                        Are you kidding? Why on earth would they WANT to? And what'd they do to deserve being saddled with us, anyway?
                        That's pretty much the reason we haven't. After all, if we tried, it would be successful for two reasons:

1. No one would believe it until it was too late.

2. The world at large would approve of it.

I mean, think about it, we invade and the end result is what? A better quality of life for the bulk of the country?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                          Some people think the government is stealing our thoughts
                          And for most of them, even if the government WERE doing it, "de minima non curat lex". Sort of like the old joke "All a pickpocket would get from me is practice".

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                          Also, it's unfortunate that people think that way, or that they have to stand on a soapbox preaching gibberish to anyone within earshot, but in terms of the rights given, I wouldn't have it any other way. As soon as you begin to give anyone the authority to choose who gets to say what, you start a very dangerous course into censorship. As long as the speaker isn't disturbing the peace (as this guy borderline could be) or is making realistic threats toward another or otherwise being dangerous in the process of speaking, we'll just have to smile and nod.
                          The best way to silence a crackpot is to give them a soapbox - then invite a bunch of friends over to heckle them. Be sure to make popcorn. Most people will shut up and slink away once they realize everyone else thinks they're an idiot. Note that I said "Most" instead of "All" - there are always a few Phelps types out there.

Comment

Working...
                          X