Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So gay marriage will confuse....tradies?! O.o

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay...-1226746088149

So recently, one state in Aussieland has passed a law making gay marriage legal in that state. A couple of other states are following suit and unsurprisingly, the law is being challenged (can't remember under what grounds).

Anyway, in an effort to "help" the anti-gay-marriage cause, a "Family First"-esque group has sent out a bunch of fliers stating that gay marriage will confuse....wait for it...tradies. Complete with a bunch of fittings being labelled "male" and "female" (which I know are the correct terms in some cases).

First of all, . Second of all, and third of all if you're going to make a point about how gay marriage is "wrong" at least use the AUSTRALIAN POWERPOINTS. (the ones in the flier are NOT Australian) In fact, upon re-examining the ports, the power port used looks somewhat...phallic

They're UK powerpoints
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Er, tradies?

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
        Er, tradies?

Rapscallion
        Trades people - plumbers, electricians and the like

Comment

Okay, the bottom of the ridiculous reason barrel has been scraped clean.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I fail to see how two guys or two gals being married is going to confuse a plumber to the point of not being able to turn a gorram wrench.

A water heater is a water heater no matter who ruttin' owns it.
            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              Okay, the bottom of the ridiculous reason barrel has been scraped clean.

Rapscallion
              Pretty much.

Speaking of tradies, my dad's one (carpenter). On the back of his car for a while, he had a bumper sticker that read: "I'm a licensed tradesperson. Ask to see my licence." I found it kinda funny for a while actually given he primarily works on building houses.

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
              I fail to see how two guys or two gals being married is going to confuse a plumber to the point of not being able to turn a gorram wrench.

A water heater is a water heater no matter who ruttin' owns it.
              Pretty much this. Also most tradies these days tend to have a thoroughly decent IQ and education so they're not as backwards as people think. (Seriously, you can count an apprenticeship towards your high school certificate over here. They're called School-Based New Apprenticeships. Basically you complete a number of subjects at school, 1 day a week at your place of employment and 1 day a week at a technical college)

Comment

Possibly going to confuse them in trying to woo the 'lady of the house'?

I apologize for that and I'll be going now.

Comment

Gay marriage has been legal in NJ for four days now. I've yet to notice a single difference in my life as a result.

It's totally going to destroy America, guys!
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

My girlfriend is Australian. She lives in NSW, which is one of the states now pushing to put their own equal marriage bill forward. Honestly, marriage approval in Australia is something like 60+ percent...higher even than here. Abbott will appeal and throw his fits but its inevitable.

That said, regarding the 'tradies' comment...really?? How the hell do these people even tie their shoes on their own??

Comment

As someone who actually works in the electronic connectors business (including power connectors), I feel confident in saying that this concept is so utterly ridiculous as to be high comedy.

I mean, we already have hermaphroditic connectors out there.

Obviously, anyone with a brain doesn't need me to tell them that the idea that tradespeople will get confused because of gay marriage is one of the stupidest arguments they've put up, yet, and a sign of utter desperation on their part.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

One thing nationwide gay marriage will harm - tourism in the first few states to allow it. After all, if gays can get married at home, why should they take a trip to New York to get hitched?

Comment

Ok so my brain put up a BSoD notice, then decided to go to hawaii without me. Cause I can't figure this out. How in blue blazes will this affect (effect??) trades people? Their job will stay the same regardless of who hires them. I .. just .. what?

Hey, my brain is affected from too high of ammonia levels in my body. This would not confuse me. So how in the name of sanity would it change anything for trade people.

Comment

A few separate thoughts:

*The idea of having a switch attached to every power socket is wonderful.

*I've seen this argument (to the degree it qualifies as one) before.

*If this were true, then mechanics would be hopelessly confused by master and slave cylinders, since slavery was abolished long ago.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                              Ok so my brain put up a BSoD notice, then decided to go to hawaii without me. Cause I can't figure this out. How in blue blazes will this affect (effect??) trades people? Their job will stay the same regardless of who hires them. I .. just .. what?

Hey, my brain is affected from too high of ammonia levels in my body. This would not confuse me. So how in the name of sanity would it change anything for trade people.
                              The point they are trying to make is that the part you inserted connector is the "male" part and the connector you insert into is the "female" part. You can see in the powerpoints in the article. What they are applying is that tradespeople are SO STUPID that if gay marriage is allowed the tradies might try sticking the male part in the male part because that's "normal." It insulting to everyone involved.

Plus, as Andara said, there are already hermaphroditic connectors used for a lot of of things.

This is just so stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X