No Candy For You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
    Sounds like these people who used to live over the road from where I lived when I was a kid. My parents still live there, but the killjoys are long gone. Cuz they used to hand out carrot sticks to trick or treaters, their house was either avoided like the plague by the angelic kids, or egged and floured by the more evil kids.
    In this particular situation that sounds like the more reasonable solution, although had I not already picked out two bags of M&Ms (and had thought of this ahead of time) I'd probably go with packs of trail mix, something that might last a bit longer.

Ooh, pass out sealed mini-packs of beef jerky!
    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

We wouldn't have minded if they'd handed out apple slices or dried apricots, something like that, but carrot sticks were just too healthy. XD This old lady used to give us slices of cake cuz she didn't have sweets in the house. None of us minded at all, and the cake was home made fruit cake and super.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
        We wouldn't have minded if they'd handed out apple slices or dried apricots, something like that, but carrot sticks were just too healthy. XD
        Yeah. I mean I had a few houses I went to growing up hand out Fruit To Go bars or Raisins. That was fine. But yeah, veggie sticks are a little TOO healthy for a halloween treat. Though at least they are orange. :P

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
          Our local police actually have signs that people can print out to say whether they are accepting trick-or-treaters or not.
          The tradition I've seen in my neck of the woods is that having your porch light on was an indication that you were inviting trick or treaters and for apartments where you don't really have control over the exterior lights it was if there was decorations hanging from the door then they were inviting trick or treaters... kind of glad the sign thing never caught on here.
          As far as Ms. Scrouge McDuck, I understand being concerned about the obesity epidemic... as an overweight man trying to lose weight myself, I can understand the crusade against obesity. Even if I wasn't trying to lose weight myself, I could still understand the crusade, all it takes is watching a loved one suffer and eventually die from the complications caused by being overweight to make you a believer in the weight lose crusade. That said, there are better ways... you can make sure that you are giving out healthier candy (I know, that seems contradictory, and there is no such thing as healthy candy, but a Payday isn't going to cause as much problems as say a Milky Way because it is lower calorie and higher protein) or small toys... or even not participate in trick or treating at all.
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Or, as mentioned, hand out raisins or apple slices to all, or give out glow sticks (I still find those awesome even as an adult! ) to all. Not just single out the poor fat kids by saying, "No sweeties for you!"
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

For health and safety reasons, it's best not to hand out snacks that aren't pre-packaged.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I wonder how badly her house got egged and TPed Thursday night

Comment

I'm late to the party here, but I gotta wonder if this whole story is fake and someone was just trying to get attention by riling people up. Let's face it, this so-called "concerned citizen" called into a radio station to (brag) talk about how she was going to give chubby kids a shame-letter instead of candy. Perfect timing too, considering the letter was circulated online before the holiday. So as enraging as this letter and story are, I strongly suspect they're fake.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    The tradition I've seen in my neck of the woods is that having your porch light on was an indication that you were inviting trick or treaters and for apartments where you don't really have control over the exterior lights it was if there was decorations hanging from the door then they were inviting trick or treaters... kind of glad the sign thing never caught on here.
                    Around this time of year, daylight savings hit and the sun doesn't go down until about 8:30pm or so. Porch lights are not quite the best option in that case, hence the use of the sign.

That said, there are better ways... you can make sure that you are giving out healthier candy (I know, that seems contradictory, and there is no such thing as healthy candy, but a Payday isn't going to cause as much problems as say a Milky Way because it is lower calorie and higher protein) or small toys... or even not participate in trick or treating at all.
                    Down here, milky ways are seen as the "lower" calorie option compared to most other brands. People tend to go for the chocolate than the lollies regardless.

Small toys I'd go with...seriously, you can get a bunch of party "favours" at your local $2 shop for about $10 (this is a MASSIVE pack of party favours btw).
                    Although given I'll most likely be in my own house by next year, I might see about doing this come Halloween next year.

Comment

One year I gave out small bags of Halloween doodads ... themed pencils, small toys, little themed notebooks, etc. Have to admit I wasn't doing this out of concern for the kiddies' health ... I didn't have any idea how many kids would be around and knew that the last thing I needed was to be stuck with bags of candy on Nov. 1! At least the leftover toys and whatnot would still be useful in forthcoming Halloweens, LOL.

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      The tradition I've seen in my neck of the woods is that having your porch light on was an indication that you were inviting trick or treaters *snip*
                      I believe that's still in force here in My Hometown. As for apartments, the apartment I lived in for several years in the Niagara Region used to open the lobby to the kids. The super and his wife would hand out cans of pop (not a great idea but again, the leftovers could be used for apartment "events") and tenants were more than welcome to come down and hand out stuff as well (this is when I was handing out the toys).

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                      For health and safety reasons, it's best not to hand out snacks that aren't pre-packaged.
                      Sadly, this is true. There's food allergies to worry about, not to mention those urban legends (true or not) of unpleasant things being put into kids' treats. I remember my mom slicing up the apples we brought home "just in case."

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                      I'm late to the party here, but I gotta wonder if this whole story is fake and someone was just trying to get attention by riling people up. Let's face it, this so-called "concerned citizen" called into a radio station to (brag) talk about how she was going to give chubby kids a shame-letter instead of candy. Perfect timing too, considering the letter was circulated online before the holiday. So as enraging as this letter and story are, I strongly suspect they're fake.
                      Something fake on the internet?? Say it ain't so!!!

Good point, actually.

Comment

Around my area, it tends to be dark around 6PM, and trick or treating generally can go between 5PM to 9PMish.

Porch Lights and Decorations are the keys to indicate a house is 'live'. If the lights are on and there are decorations, feel free to knock on the door. If the lights are out, it's a no go, even if there are decorations.

Comment

The consensus is that this was a joke by the morning crew at the station, much like another "caller" a while back who complained that deer crossing signs encourage deer to cross the road.
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                            Turns out you're most likely right.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                              Yea, saw this too. Not surprising at all.
                              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                              X