X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Needs OVERTIME pay?!

The Article
    photo of alleged document

Short Version: A Vancouver Businessman won the Bad Boss Award by making his employees allegedly work overtime hours, but sign a document waiving their right to overtime pay.

This is really horrible. I mean I've heard of employers kicking staff out before they reach over time, or keeping their hours just under full time, but this is a new low. According to the article many of these words were new citizens or they are youth workers. Neither group has a complete understanding of their rights as workers.

It's horrible how employers will try to take advantage of their workers.
    Last edited by hinakiba777; 11-04-2013, 09:39 PM.

This is from April of last year and there's no information anywhere other than that one story and a rebuttal from the franchise-owner.

There's another story from November of the same situation, and again, there's no follow-up regarding the allegations.

I'm not sure this is an employer taking advantage of workers as much as former workers trying to get one over on the boss that let them go.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      I'm not sure this is an employer taking advantage of workers as much as former workers trying to get one over on the boss that let them go.
      I'm leaning that way as well. The store owner freely offered all his payroll records for review by the Employee Standards Branch and nothing further was ever heard about this story.

Looks like something similar happened the second time they tried to hand out the award too. They went on the word of an employee that had been fired and nothing came of it with the Employee Standards Branch there either.

After that they stopped handing out the awards. Their website hasn't been updated since April and some of it 404s. Seems they retreated to Facebook, but that hasn't been updated since Sept. I'm guessing they're pretty much defunct at this point.

Comment

You know, even if it is true, I can see some valid reasons for asking someone to sign that... I have a similar agreement with my job that I waive overtime rights for over 8 in a day, but retain for over 40, which I think can't be waived... then again my schedule is Wednesday through Sunday from whenever I feel like it to whenever I am finished, and frankly, it is nice to know I can go over half an hour and simply go home early on a slower day and not have to stress about getting overtime approval or if I am going to get in trouble for unauthorized overtime.
        I doubt that is what this guy allegedly had in mind.
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
          You know, even if it is true, I can see some valid reasons for asking someone to sign that... I have a similar agreement with my job that I waive overtime rights for over 8 in a day, but retain for over 40, which I think can't be waived... then again my schedule is Wednesday through Sunday from whenever I feel like it to whenever I am finished, and frankly, it is nice to know I can go over half an hour and simply go home early on a slower day and not have to stress about getting overtime approval or if I am going to get in trouble for unauthorized overtime.
          I doubt that is what this guy allegedly had in mind.
          Yours is an overtime variant which is not illegal. What this alleged story is a total waiving of overtime pay in it's entirety. This is illegal regardless if both parties agree to it. If found to be true the owner can face severe fines and possible revocation of his business license.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
            Yours is an overtime variant which is not illegal. What this alleged story is a total waiving of overtime pay in it's entirety. This is illegal regardless if both parties agree to it. If found to be true the owner can face severe fines and possible revocation of his business license.
            Nevada's OT laws are tricky and somewhat confusing.

If your hourly wage is more than 1.5 times minimum wage, you only get OT once you hit 40 hours in a single pay week. If your hourly wage is under 1.5 times minimum wage, you get OT after 8 hours in a single day, or after 40 hours in a single week.

Currently, Minimum Wage in Nevada is $7.25 if your employer offers you benefits, and $8.25 if they don't.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
            X