Elementary school bans all touching on playground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary school bans all touching on playground

The ban covers such things as tag and "Star Wars games" (whatever that is) ... and even just holding hands. And this is aimed at kindergarteners. Anybody else think this is yet more proof (as if we needed it) that too many of the people who make the rules have lost their freakin' minds?

Take that kids! No compassion allowed! No socializing!

What's next? Banning talking and breathing so no one can spread airborne illness?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I know you're joking Greenday, but I've actually spoken to people who would love to take up that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew B View Post
        I know you're joking Greenday, but I've actually spoken to people who would love to take up that idea.
        I'm not surprised.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Obligatory.

Comment

Did anybody here ever play Red Rover? That would probably get these kids a nice stint in a juvenile detention centre ... not least because the participants are holding hands. And even worse ... it gets VIOLENT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              Take that kids! No compassion allowed! No socializing!

What's next? Banning talking and breathing so no one can spread airborne illness?
              How stupid. Kids learn to play safely by falling down and getting hurt. It's part of growing up.

Safety equipment for truly dangerous sports (bicycles, etc) is one thing. Playground equipment that is well maintained and safe? Check.

Running around games? Give me a break.

As for preventing airborne illnesses, I've seen similar tried to no effect. The assistant director of a summer camp I worked in instituted a rule banning canteens and water bottles on hiking trips, because she was afraid kids would spread colds through them by sharing water.

I told her the idea was not only silly, but dangerous. Simply sharing cabins would ensure the spread of colds; kids pass around viruses like candy. But not having water is just plain dangerous; kids get dehydrated at the drop of a hat.

The compromise was setting up water stations along the way. It still wasn't enough.

But not to worry. I had four water bottles of my own that I brought on every hike; I knew from lots of hiking experience frequent water is a must. I shared, and turned a blind eye to the kids who brought their canteens anyway.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Anybody else think this is yet more proof (as if we needed it) that too many of the people who make the rules have lost their freakin' minds?
                Maybe a better question: anyone here *not* think that?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If it's only until the end of the week as projected, then it's not really such a big deal. If it's a permanent measure, then it's totally stupid.

No hand holding is major overkill. However, as a kid who got tripped and shoved in elementary school, I can get why they are doing this. Kids can be pretty rough when playing with each other, and it's hard to know the line. On the other hand, you do kind of need to feel out your limits. How are you supposed to know how hard is too hard for tugging on your friends arm when you are walking, if you don't have those moments. For some reason I just picture two little kids with their elbows linked pointing out to the recess supervisor that no one said they can't link elbows.

Comment

Working...
                  X