Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Tolerance or Common Sense

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...n=ShareButtons

So a Mom posted a pic of her concealed weapons permit. Note just the Permit no weapons and is now banned from her daughters school. The principal states “It is my duty and responsibility as the principal of this school to ensure the safety and security of all of our faculty, staff and students,” Dallas told WJBF-TV.

Supposedly the mom never said she was going to carry to the school or shoot up the school. She just did what any one who is 16 or older and posted a picture of her license.

this is utterly ridiculous. She's an army vet, so you can assume she's responsible with firearms ( If she had a Dishonourable Discharge, she wouldn't have got the permit.) and yet, in posting a picture of her concealed carry permit to Facebook (it's not even like she's highlighting it- it looks more like she was putting the permit away to me.) she is apparently a danger to kids. Leaving aside the question of how the school knows- is the school seriously monitoring the facebook posts of parents?- it is utterly ridiculous to ban someone for the picture alone.

Not to mention, this plays into the hands of the more rabid gun nuts. ( I'm referring here to people who want no restrictions at all on gun ownership)

Comment

I'm not saying that this is what happened, but is it not *possible* that context we don't know made the image an implied threat?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The principal justifies it by saying she is afraid of the mother now. We don't know if this mother and the principal have a history of conflict or not to justify the fears.

If there were, it should have be dealt with before this. A history of threats is enough to get your application for a CCW permit denied.

Barring that, there is no reason to ban the mother from the premises. You already can't carry a weapon on school grounds anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is.
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

This is another case of "OMG, GUNS! " where people are so afraid of an inanimate object that they are no longer able to think rationally.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There's often more to stories like this* but at the moment I can't imagine what on earth it could be. If there wasn't some type of threat previously issued, this is ridiculous. >_<

Why is the principal even watching her Facebook page?

*Like the story about 'kids suspended for playing with toy guns at their own home' was really 'for shooting at passers by with airsoft guns' which, whether the school should be involved or not, is hardly the way it was presented.
            Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 11-07-2013, 07:35 PM.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Hyena, it is Army Vet. For some reason schools see military members as guns all over the house. I found that out when my son got into a fight in 7th grade, during the fight both of them were saying I'm going to kill you. When I went to pick up my son from school I was asked about how many guns we had in the house (we had none and I told them), when I asked why they would ask they said, "Well your husband is in the Army so we know you have guns in the house and we want to make sure the school is safe." When I reiterated that we didn't have guns in the house, I thought all was well......Until later that evening the Police and CPS showed up at my house! All because my husband happens to be in the Army.

The police asked me if they could search and I consented and (of course) nothing was found.

Comment

I still want to know why the principal was looking at her Facebook account.

Comment

Originally posted by Titi View Post
                  Hyena, it is Army Vet. For some reason schools see military members as guns all over the house. I found that out when my son got into a fight in 7th grade, during the fight both of them were saying I'm going to kill you. When I went to pick up my son from school I was asked about how many guns we had in the house (we had none and I told them), when I asked why they would ask they said, "Well your husband is in the Army so we know you have guns in the house and we want to make sure the school is safe." When I reiterated that we didn't have guns in the house, I thought all was well......Until later that evening the Police and CPS showed up at my house! All because my husband happens to be in the Army.

The police asked me if they could search and I consented and (of course) nothing was found.
                  It's probably because the Army is nessecarily associated with guns, so soldier- gun is a logical connection in most people's mind. Along with a garbled knowledge of Sandy Hook (in the Sandy Hook massacre, the shooter stole a gun to commit the crime- they may have forgotten the stolen part) it could freak someone out. still stupid, but not as stupid as it first appears.

Comment

It was likely other busybody parents who have nothing better to do than to scour Facebook to find things to cry about.
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Titi View Post

That's outrageous! Would they have done the same thing if your husband was a cop?!
                      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        It was likely other busybody parents who have nothing better to do than to scour Facebook to find things to cry about.

Then I have to wonder if they might have misinformed the principal, along with it. The principal making that decision purely on the fact that they COULD own a gun sounds unlikely, but if there was someone who saw the picture adding something else, then that'd be something I can at least UNDERSTAND.

Comment

And... Let the backpeddling commence.

Article at WRDW

A few details:

Mount has filed a lawsuit against the school, the principal, and one officer.

Despite a report by a TV news outlet that the school confirmed that Mount was trespassed over the Facebook image post, they are now claiming that in addition to an "internet post" that she was exhibiting other behavior as a volunteer that they apparently felt no need to address her over until the posting of the fact that she had a concealed carry permit brought in the "OMG guns " factor and pushed it to 11, requiring a full trespass order.

She has received her "volunteer" card back from the school, which means that despite the fact that they felt she was enough of a threat to ban from the property, she's not enough of a threat to prevent from being a volunteer around children.

I do have to wonder, however, why someone who passed all of the challenges required to be awarded a CC permit would raise worries? It's the people who don't have proof that the government considers them safe enough to carry that you should be looking out for.

Comment

, they are now claiming that in addition to an "internet post" that she was exhibiting other behavior as a volunteer that they apparently felt no need to address her over until the posting of the fact that she had a concealed carry permit brought in the "OMG guns " factor and pushed it to 11, requiring a full trespass order.
                            But it wasn't just that she HAD a concealed carry permit, it was that she went out and GOT it.

I still don't think that I agree with it, but it at least gives me an understanding somehow, if there WAS bad behavior, of why they would have that reaction. I don't know what she said or did (and am a little doubtful she said or did anything >_<) but if someone said "I'm gonna kick your ass" I might dismiss it, but if they went out and got a baseball bat the next day, I'd feel different. It's not an "OMG Baseball Bat" thing, it's an "OMG Maybe they actually meant that" thing.

Again, I don't know the context, but at least I can kind of understand why they would have the reaction. Similar to the thing that was mentioned earlier, it didn't come up until her kid threatened someone. It's still a bit ridiculous, but at least I can UNDERSTAND where it's coming from.

I figured there was at least something more, because otherwise it's just inexplicable. It just turns out that, unlike the "Playing with toy guns in the yard," it doesn't make this the right reaction.
                            Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 11-08-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

While GA is a "shall issue" state, the fact that she specifically got a permit is an indication that she is a lawful citizen. Schools are weapons prohibited except in the case of law enforcement while carrying out their duties.

Those two facts taken together indicate that she would have been unlikely to carry on school grounds, rendering the trespass utterly pointless and a gross overreaction to something particularly stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X