yet another wrist-slapped rapist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another wrist-slapped rapist.

man rapes a girl, twice as a minor (14) and again as an adult, threatening to kill her family if she tells.
    jury comes back with a full "guilty" verdict.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...aping-teenager

judge's sentence? oh, "serving two years in a program aimed at nonviolent criminals and three years of probation."
    it continues to say that he is technically sentenced to 30 years in jail, but won't see a day of that unless he violates the terms of this more lenient procedure.

part of the excuse is victim blaming, because she was still "socializing" with him (they were neighbors) and that he allegedly was planning to leave his wife and changed his mind, so this is a vindictive case.

i'm sorry, but she was still FOUR-FREAKIN-TEEN the first two times he raped her. and regardless of how the judge feels, the jury convicted him as guilty. the statutory rape alone should have landed him 20 years.
    how the frigg a convicted rapist can be put into a NONVIOLENT CRIMINAL program, especially when he succeeded in multiple rapes by threatening the girl's family, is beyond my ability to logic.

just... AHHHHHHHHH.

oh, and the judge and the defense attorney are childhood friends.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

She was 14. There's just no excuse for forcing a 14 year old to have sex.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      She was 14. There's just no excuse for forcing a 14 year old to have sex.
      exactly. even if she did want to have sex with him consensualy, it would still be statutory rape, and have a heavy sentence. well, if people with brains were doing the sentencing.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
        oh, and the judge and the defense attorney are childhood friends.
        I'm pretty certain that this is a clear conflict of interest. I hope the prosecutor goes after it full bore for willful malfeasance on the part of the judge.
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          I'm pretty certain that this is a clear conflict of interest. I hope the prosecutor goes after it full bore for willful malfeasance on the part of the judge.
          Yeah, I remember hearing that there are measures in place to prevent this situation. If the judge is proven to have some kind of bias for or against a lawyer, they get a different judge for the case. I wonder what went wrong here.

Comment

There are people who get drunk. and while drunk piss on a dumpster who get in more trouble than this.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
              There are people who get drunk. and while drunk piss on a dumpster who get in more trouble than this.
              That's what bothers me about this case. It sounds like a clear cut rape. Even if she wasn't underage, this still would have been rape and assault (he threatened her family too). Yet he gets the same sentence as some harmless drug user. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                Yet he gets the same sentence as some harmless drug user. WTF?
                Please. There are harmless drug users who get time for smoking weed.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Please. There are harmless drug users who get time for smoking weed.
                  Yes? And I think it's ridiculous (especially in comparison to the rape).

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                    Yes? And I think it's ridiculous (especially in comparison to the rape).
                    i think that was the point. that people with a couple joints get hard time, and this multiple rapist gets off free. it's a sad example of stupidity and bias in the courts.

Comment

There's still a logical problem there: saying that, because a lesser crime gets a harsher punishment, the punishment for the greater crime should be increased implies that it is more important that the punishments be proportional than that either be appropriate for its crime. Either that the punishment for the lesser crime, looked at on its own, is appropriate, or else that it's OK so long as everything else is raised accordingly.

Which is NOT AT ALL to defend this judge or to say that rape shouldn't get serious jail time; only that using the absurd penalties we have in place for things like public urination or smoking weed as a comparison doesn't work.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

it's not really a logic issue. the minimum sentence for rape is actually fairly harsh. this particular criminal got some bullshit special sentence. comparing how nonviolent crimes like drug use had a harsher sentence than this one asshole that committed a repeated, violent crime is a fair comparison to show just how unjust it was.

Comment

Two years in a non-violent program and then three years probation? That is ridiculous. The actual thirty year sentence seems more fitting. Why do I get the feeling that if the man does break the terms of his probation, his lawyer will still keep him out of jail?

Comment

Because you're capable of recognizing patterns, hina.

Comment

Minor update, the DA has filed a motion to seek prison time. Whether that will really happen is another matter: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...aping-teenager

A similar case with a similar result (this time by a teacher!), where the DA is also filing a motion: http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/mo...-rape-sentence

At first I thought they were the same case. They aren't. Sad sad sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X