No announcement yet.

Mum gets fined for sending a healthy lunch to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wondered whether there was a school somewhere so very focused on healthy eating that they had a hissy fit over a child who was on the Ketogenic Diet...

I didn't find one when I was researching it earlier this year, so hopefully maybe not!

(Nb: the Ketogenic Diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that's less of a diet and more of a medical treatment for children with epilepsy. It has to be measured precisely to get the effect -so packed or special lunches are a must - but generally involves a lot of butter and double cream!)

Comment

Interestingly, the secondary school where I used to go now serves super healthy lunches... so the girls all head down the town to the McDonalds during lunch break. XD

Some primary schools take it to the extreme. I personally don't see what the problem is in letting a child have a Kitkat to go with their lunch, as long as there's some fruit included as well, but some schools won't even allow that. They've gone to the other extreme, stating that only healthy food is allowed for packed lunches.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
        Interestingly, the secondary school where I used to go now serves super healthy lunches... so the girls all head down the town to the McDonalds during lunch break. XD
        There was a big thing a few years back about high school kids leaving at lunchtime to go to the nearest junk food outlet. One of my classmates eventually wrote a letter to the paper complaining about the prices in the canteen, as well as the variety.
        The canteen then offered lunch deals after that, which were comparable or better to the junk food outlets

Some primary schools take it to the extreme. I personally don't see what the problem is in letting a child have a Kitkat to go with their lunch, as long as there's some fruit included as well, but some schools won't even allow that. They've gone to the other extreme, stating that only healthy food is allowed for packed lunches.
        Down here, most schools will go by a healthy eating policy where the canteen only sells "healthy" stuff but will have one "red food" day per term. (Basically it goes by a code. Green stuff is ok, Amber stuff is ok in moderation, red stuff is a no-go. School canteens are only allowed to sell the green and amber stuff. The amber items include things like pies, pasties, sausage rolls, tater tots and noodles)

The Waldorf school I worked at briefly were harder on packed lunches, but more for ecological reasons and they didn't have a canteen. Most other schools just practice a "please don't send nut products" policy and will add accordingly if needed. (The extent of that policy is basically no nuts or Nutella, things with "traces" or "were made in factory" are generally ok)

Comment

Working...
        X