3 women freed after being kept as slaves for 30 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 women freed after being kept as slaves for 30 years

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 01:44 PM.

Holy hell.

First the Cleveland Kidnapping and now this. What is wrong with this world?

Comment

People don't always view others as people and only objects. I wonder how long till it gets threw some thick skulls that you just can't do that. But then...we've been doing that for how many centuries now?

Comment

I'm more curious *how* this happens. "People don't know their neighbors" doesn't even remotely cut it as an explanation.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I have heard of this happen before, I think in upstate New York.

Yeah- here From 2012

The guy in Cleavland, while surprising, I wasn't that shocked. I'd previously read about the Austrian case, the Dugard case, and I think also a couple others. I wonder how many people are never found out about?

Not knowing ones neighbors is part of it, but I think willful ignorance also plays a part of it. They don't want to be "that guy" that calls the cops over something innocent.
          In Dugards case if she had told the neighbor her last name that probably would have been it, without she's just some kid also named Jaycee. I don't there there was a soul alive in California in the '90s that didn't know about Jaycee Dugard. It was one of the horror stories my mom told me to keep me aware of my surroundings.

Comment

I think with a lot of people, they assume that since their neighbour hasn't fangs, that what they say is true. A lot of these kidnappers appear to be nice, friendly, normal guys. In two famous cases, The "Girl in the Box" case and The "Toy Box" case, both of the men involved seemed to their neighbours as ordinary people. Neighbours believed Cameron Hooker when he said that the girl "Kay" was a nanny hired to look after the kids. They didn't think that David Parker Ray was anything more than a pleasant man who worked as a park ranger. People just don't think, "Hey, what if that woman next door isn't a nanny, but a young girl who was kidnapped to be a sex slave?"
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

In this case they seem to have literally been kept as slaves and it sounds like they had some measure of freedom sometimes. I don't think the neighbours would suspect much. =/

Comment

Working...
              X