X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Driver...

found not guilty after crashing...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/25...tcmp=obnetwork

Because a passanger untied her bikini top while she was driving. Now why the heck should she get off when she made the possibility of something happening cause she was wearing such skimpy clothing?

Was going to post this on CS and then thought better.
    Last edited by Aethian; 11-28-2013, 04:04 PM.

Better article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...ml?ir=New+York

Her run was from the Jersey Shore which would indicate it's a company "uniform".

And a better question: Why should she be held responsible when it was the passenger actively trying to distract her?

Comment

Because her wearing a bikini top is not an invitation for some jackhole to try and molest her?

Comment

I've seen drivers wearing tops before that are more sport bra's bikini swim tops. IE no ties... If that kind was being played with then I can <i>kinda</i> get the non guilty.

But she was wearing something that even sitting or moving wrong could undo the ties. Just because someone played with the ties she was wearing something that could cause problems.

Comment

Whoa, hold up. First of all, where did you get taxi from? This wasn't a taxi it was a group of friends driving home. Second of all, your argument is dangerously close to "she was asking for it because of what she was wearing".

They were coming back from a beach birthday party, of course they have swimsuits on. Also, the moron that untied her bikini was actively trying to get them all killed it seems. In the original court testimony he also opened an umbrella in the car and stuck his feet in her face while she was trying to drive. When all that failed to completely distract her from driving, he untied her top. Getting himself killed and his friends injured in the process.

He was a fucking idiot and it was his fault.

Comment

Right after I submitted the post I sent in a report to please change Taxi to Driver. Thanks for the point out. Would you like to report it as well?

As for it's her fault for what she was wearing that is exactly what I was saying. She shouldn't have been wearing what she was. A shirt over would have been better. Something to make sure she wouldn't be distracted by loose ties while driving. The one who was killed assisted in his own death by distracting the driver when he shouldn't have, but he still was only a passenger and it's the driver who has the main responsibility in keeping the driving safe.
            Last edited by Aethian; 11-28-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Wow.

Did the OP just victim blame over wearing a bikini top?
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                Wow. Did the OP just victim blame over wearing a bikini top?
                Yes. Yes I did. She did a dangerous thing for wearing what she was wearing. If she was wearing a proper top she would have removed a potential distraction for her driving! It's the same as those people who wear high heels that make it harder to hit the brakes. Or hell how about the people who eat/apply makeup/talk or txt on cell phones... ALL of those cause distractions to the driver.

Comment

So, because someone else entirely was actively trying to distract her, it's her fault because she' didn't wear something that someone actively trying to distract her couldn't have used?

The facts of the matter were that "Mr Berman had acted disruptively throughout car ride." The guy was being an asshole and kept trying to distract her. If it wasn't the top, it would have been something else. Hell, if she'd been wearing a shirt, maybe he'd have pulled it up, instead, and led to the same exact problem.

The guy suing her was in the back seat with the asshole that got himself killed and his friends injured. Maybe if he had done something to stop the guy, he would have been able to keep playing football.

Blaming her for wearing a bikini top while driving is asinine and I'm glad that both the jury and the appellate court believe that she shouldn't be culpable for failing to guard against shit that shouldn't even happen.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                    Yes. Yes I did. She did a dangerous thing for wearing what she was wearing. If she was wearing a proper top she would have removed a potential distraction for her driving!
                    You can't be serious. She had one passenger actively trying to interfere with her ability to drive and other passengers not doing anything to stop the moron. Yet it's HER fault for her choice of swimsuit?

This is 100% on the guy that choose sexual harassment. You do *not* blame the victim because her choice of attire made sexual harassment "easier". I'm honestly shocked you're sticking with this line of argument.

It's the same as those people who wear high heels that make it harder to hit the brakes. Or hell how about the people who eat/apply makeup/talk or txt on cell phones... ALL of those cause distractions to the driver.
                    It is not even remotely the same.

Comment

Both of you can disagree with me and can make your points but I'm going to say right now...my view is NOT going to change.

The way I was trained in being a driver was to make sure that we drop the majority of distractions we can. Even if her back seat idiot hadn't teased her something else could have caused distraction with her choice of top.

What if when she was driving and hopefully doing her mirror and shoulder checks her ties had gotten loose. Her hands would still have left the wheel. She made a poor judgement and along with another's poor judgement death was caused.

I don't think either of you are seeing that I'm not laying complete blame on her. Her back seat passenger helped himself get killed. But I do think she needs punishment more for her actions then a not-guilty verdict.

When one of my classmates was killed because the driver kept messing with her too loose bra straps she not only had to live with the fact that she killed a guy who most likely would have become her husband but she also has a wheel chair. The judge said that he can't charge her with murder but if she had worn proper clothing they wouldn't be here. He then sentenced her to going to various driving schools as proof of what distracted driving can cause.

I see this case and all I can think of is she needs better punishment. She left herself open, specially when I hope she knew her friend well enough. So take that as you will.

Comment

What if when she was driving and hopefully doing her mirror and shoulder checks her ties had gotten loose. Her hands would still have left the wheel. She made a poor judgement and along with another's poor judgement death was caused.
                        You're equating a rare possibility with an active distraction and lack of judgement. That just does not work. By your logic me wearing glasses is poor judgement. What if I shoulder check and they fall down my nose? What if you shoulder check and your seat belt strap catches your earring or your hair? What if her necklace snagged on the seat? What if? What if? What if?

Where is this epidemic of car accidents caused by bikinis, glasses, earrings, necklaces, etc?

She reacted the way she did because she was in a car full of guys and one of them pulled her top off by surprise to see her tits in an effort to apparently kill them all. If she had been driving and a string had started to come loose on a shoulder check she could stop and fix that.

Thats much different than having a bunch of guys suddenly yank your tits out for shits and giggles in a concentrated attempt to distract you from the wheel.

I don't think either of you are seeing that I'm not laying complete blame on her. Her back seat passenger helped himself get killed. But I do think she needs punishment more for her actions then a not-guilty verdict.
                        She did not take any "actions".

When one of my classmates was killed because the driver kept messing with her too loose bra straps she not only had to live with the fact that she killed a guy who most likely would have become her husband but she also has a wheel chair. The judge said that he can't charge her with murder but if she had worn proper clothing they wouldn't be here. He then sentenced her to going to various driving schools as proof of what distracted driving can cause.
                        That doesn't have anything to do with this and that judge sounds like kind of an asshole. The driver in that scenario was actively distracting themselves.

I see this case and all I can think of is she needs better punishment. She left herself open, specially when I hope she knew her friend well enough. So take that as you will.
                        Just so I have this straight. Your final argument is seriously going to be she left herself open to sexual harassment by wearing a bikini top. Because she should knew better that men just can't help themselves around tits?

Comment

Sighs....

Sexual harassment? No this wasn't sexual harassment in my book. This was some fucking idiot who distracted the driver by her own clothing that was in poor choice.

He was being a ass, should have pulled over. He was picking in her, should have pulled over. He was touching her, should have pulled over. My guess is she had plenty of times to stop or halt him. She didn't take them. She is the driver, she has the power to continue or stop the journey. She has the ability to stop distractions by stopping the car. It was HER choice to continue, it was HER choice to be wearing what she was. It was HER choice to give him a opening that shouldn't have been there. By the actions of them TOGETHER the ass is DEAD. Did everything together lead up to that, yes. But she still could have done something. And honestly the first thing is don't wear fricken clothing that can cause a fricken issue like that.

She could have done a lot of things different. I'm focusing on the one that ultimately caused the fricken accident. So since you two have made it clear your only going to beat me into the ground because you don't agree with me that she should have gotten something more put onto her because if her choices she made. I'm done, stepping away, and going to continue believing that what she wore was wrong and that she should have been wearing something more to remove a distraction of being the driver.

Nice to see the two of you working together tho.

Comment

Yes she should have stopped, but I don't think he would have had less inclination to be any less of a tool had she worn sensible clothes.

If she was coming from a sound of music themed costume party the dickhead would have tried something, say he decided to cover her eyes and maybe be forceful pulling her head into the headrest and she hit the breaks hard, well he's probably not wearing a seat belt to get to his position and his weight is going to slam into her as he possibly flies through the windscreen.

I guess him being the only fatality is a blessing, normally it is the one causing the trouble that survives unscathed, the best option to drive safe is to have no one else in the car, if she could change that day she would probably never let him in to begin with and he could walk back to wherever they were going.

Comment

Sexual harassment? No this wasn't sexual harassment in my book. This was some fucking idiot who distracted the driver by her own clothing that was in poor choice.
                              Forcibly taking someone's top off isn't sexual harassment? You don't get to undress a woman without her consent.

He was being a ass, should have pulled over. He was picking in her, should have pulled over. He was touching her, should have pulled over. My guess is she had plenty of times to stop or halt him. She didn't take them. She is the driver, she has the power to continue or stop the journey. She has the ability to stop distractions by stopping the car.
                              And what of the other *3* passengers who did nothing to stop it? Do you think she just sat there quietly and took all of the fuckery without telling him off? How do you know she *didn't* warn him she would do just that if he continued?

Also, she was on a 6 lane thruway with guard rails and barriers ( Hitting the guard rail was the cause of the crash ). Pulling over is not so easy at that point and there are stretches of the thruway in question that don't even have a shoulder to pull onto.

The stretch they were on has a guardrail in the middle and the outside, no shoulder ( The area is heavily wooded, so there's just a barrier then a ditch into trees ). She was driving on the inside lane at 65 mph next to the middle barrier. All 3 of her passengers were not wearing seat belts. She was the only one wearing a seat belt. When fucknuts yanked her top off, the car swerved into the middle barrier next to it causing it to flip into oncoming traffic.

So tell me again. How would she pull over through 2 lanes of traffic onto a shoulder that did not exist? Never mind the idiot that died and the idiot that didn't stop him then sued her were both not wearing seat belts. But clearly this is her fault because she had tits around men. -.-

Nice to see the two of you working together tho.
                              That should really be a hint. -.-
                              Last edited by Gravekeeper; 11-28-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X