Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY do this over some cheap-assed item????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY do this over some cheap-assed item????

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-mall#comments

2 women fist fight then pull out tazers over some unknown item.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

My favourite Black Friday story thus far was the stabbing involving 2 guys with knives vs 1 guy with a hunting rifle.

Over a parking spot. -.-

Edit: Here we go!
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 11-30-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

You know, yesterday was the first time I ever went Black Friday shopping. I went around 9pm Friday night and no one was around. Got a great deal on a TV.

It just astounds me that people go so crazy over it. There is nothing worth getting shot/stabbed/tasered over.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

It's even reached us! O_o

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8973447.html

I blame Walmart. After all, they own Asda.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
          It's even reached us! O_o

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8973447.html

The bigger stores seem to have the worst deals and the stock isn't enough. The first store I went to was Best Buy. Fair amount of stock, still lots of people there, prices weren't great. Went next door to PC Richards and no one was there, salesman didn't pressure me, plenty of stock, the same TV I got there costed $300 more at Best Buy.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
            http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-mall#comments
            2 women fist fight then pull out tazers over some unknown item.
            Scarcity leads to reduced cognitive abilities and poor decision making.

Personally, I think that every store that sets up these Black Friday situations ought to be fined for every injury that occurs.

I refuse to take part, myself. I won't be involved in other people's idiocy.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              Personally, I think that every store that sets up these Black Friday situations ought to be fined for every injury that occurs.
              wouldn't help. Wal-mart STILL hasn't paid the $7,000 fine from the 2008 black friday death of an employee.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

And of course that's being lost in the shuffle ... but let some poor schmuck forget to pay his/her fine over something trivial and the justice system comes down on them like the proverbial ton of bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Considering that Wal-mart shows up *multiple* times on the link GK provided, I'm not surprised. That place does, after all, tend to cater to society's lowest common denominator

Comment

Because humans can be really really stupid.

I heard police had to shoot one guy over this black friday bullshit.

Comment

I actually went to Walmart on Black Friday this year. (A sick mom with a prescription waiting at their pharmacy will do that.) It was late afternoon, and still so crowded that, though my actual errand only took a minute, getting in and out of the building, much less the parking lot, was tougher than usual.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

What these situations remind me of is this (and yes there are OLD stereotypes described so beware you have been warned) and this type of behavior is not really all that new:

Fade in to the front of a old style slightly upscale department store. Pull out to reveal a big sign in the window that says:

SALE

Queue the hordes of female shoppers mobbing <pick your own> department and literally ripping stuff off the shelves and out of each others hands/arms.

I remember several 1940s or 1950s cartoons that lampooned this behavior.

But on a more serious note: I remember seeing a newsreel from the WWII era about a store that had acquired nylon stockings and placed them up for sale.

again Queue the hordes of female shoppers mobbing the department and literally ripping stuff off the shelves and out of each others hands/arms. YES there were fist/cat fight breaking out.

some women were filmed actually putting on the stockings out in the street in front of the store. I remember the narrator commenting something about the ladies just wanting to look/feel good.

Perceived or real scarcity creates this "mob" or "I MUST HAVE" mentality.

GODS help us if society does fall into ruin.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

to be fair, due to Nylon being used in the war effort ( it was used to produce parachutes, i believe) for all they knew, it might have been the only chance they got to get nylon stockings. it's still ridiculous, but it's more understandable than fights for 5% off something.

Comment

Black friday is no worse than any other sale, it's just reported more.
                            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                              to be fair, due to Nylon being used in the war effort ( it was used to produce parachutes, i believe) for all they knew, it might have been the only chance they got to get nylon stockings. it's still ridiculous, but it's more understandable than fights for 5% off something.
                              Pretty much this. I believe in some parts, women were using gravy and eyeliner to look like they had stockings. Then there was this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnHSAY9AkvU

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                              Black friday is no worse than any other sale, it's just reported more.
                              I dunno....the worst I've seen has generally been the giant rush of people hanging around outside Myer/Harris Scarfe/David Jones at 9am. No trampling though (also SA's trading laws don't allow boxing day trading...most of the time)

Although I do remember my English teacher once telling me how at one point we DID have a black-friday-esque sale (post-Christmas) but that was promptly stopped after two women got into a fistfight over a fridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X