No announcement yet.

Brain dead woman kept alive against her wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV ) but I believe it was mentioned somewhat earlier in this very thread that a ventilator and one or two other odds and ends are not nearly enough for this situation. The woman can't digest food ... how would they get nutrients to the baby? Her kidneys have shut down ... how do they get the baby's waste out of its body and out of its environment? Her body is no longer regulating its temperature ... how do they keep it at the proper temperature for a gestating fetus? Her hormone levels have flatlined ... there is no heartbeat, no sound of breathing, nothing for the baby to 'hear' ... she's not talking to it or touching it (admittedly through her tummy, LOL) ...

How the hell anybody could think this is in any way a good or feasible idea just leaves me speechless. A friend of mine (a cop, no less) said she could see "both sides" of the issue. AND she has borne two kids of her own, so it's not like she knows nothing of pregnancy ...

Those candidates probably also say a woman's body "shuts down" during a rape and thus she can't become pregnant as a result of a rape.

Comment

For some crazy views, check out this thread on Rapture Ready. (Luckily there are a few voices of reason)

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1918...-from-machines

Bringing to you such fun-filled posts as:

They argued against the wishes of the state to preserve the life of the child because they don't want a disabled kid, and won. The state tried to preserve the life of his child, but he said no. May daddy sleep well at night knowing the blood of his kid is on his own hands.
      and
      Since mom is dead, it makes no difference to her that the body is artificially kept alive for the sake of the child. In this rare instance, the state of Texas erred on the side of life for the child. Daddy wanted none of it.
      *shudders*

A dead flesh incubator. I just...I can't get past that.

Last edited by Lachrymose; 01-29-2014, 05:06 AM.

Comment

The judge didn't have sense or compassion exactly. He only ruled to take her off the ventilator after the doctors declared the fetus was not viable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachrymose View Post
          For some crazy views, check out this thread on Rapture Ready. (Luckily there are a few voices of reason)

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1918...-from-machines

Bringing to you such fun-filled posts as:

They argued against the wishes of the state to preserve the life of the child because they don't want a disabled kid, and won. The state tried to preserve the life of his child, but he said no. May daddy sleep well at night knowing the blood of his kid is on his own hands.
          and
          Since mom is dead, it makes no difference to her that the body is artificially kept alive for the sake of the child. In this rare instance, the state of Texas erred on the side of life for the child. Daddy wanted none of it.
          *shudders*

A dead flesh incubator. I just...I can't get past that.

I'm sorry my brain just suffered a BSOD. from a) the baby was what, 12 weeks old? that's within the time limit for an abortion anyway. b) does this mean that ANY termination of a pregnancy is murder? Including miscarriage? (after all, the difference between an abortion and miscarriage is quite small, from what little I know- more or less, miscarriage is spontaneous abortion. Oh dear- if all abortion is bad, then so are miscarriages)

In short, the level of utter ignorance this requires is actually scary, let alone dead flesh incubators.

Comment

I think this picture pretty much sums up what I think of this whole fiasco.

From the Battle Star Galactica series reboot.
            Last edited by bara; 01-29-2014, 03:58 PM. Reason: (spelling and source)

Comment

** SPOILER ALERT **
              For the show Blacklist.

The most recent episode of Blacklist dealt with a man who set up a ring to kidnap smart young women, put them into induced comas, then use artificial insemination to put them through pregnancy so they could adopt out the resulting children for big bucks.
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ugh..these kind of scenarios make me want a hysterectomy! (I don't want kids anyhow)
                The idea of being forced to breed against my will is pretty fucking horrifying. But then again, I'm fat, not too good looking by society's standards, and not a gifted student. So I'm not exactly prime genetic stock by anyone's standards.

Comment

It is probably because of these cases that they wanted to try. The only difference is that the families in these cases asked them to.

This is the first one, mother suffers aneurysm is kept alive by machines for one month, delivers healthy twins.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-de...-life-support/

The second one mother suffers a stroke at 15 weeks pregnant, and is kept alive until 27 weeks pregnant where she gives birth to a healthy baby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-27-weeks.html

As I said before, both of these families wanted this to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Titi View Post
                    It is probably because of these cases that they wanted to try.
                    not even close-this is from another site from someone following the case very closely(can't recall why though)

The hospital's legal counsel is a well known anti-abortionist and constructed the argument that this woman fell under the law regarding pregnant women in comas - even the law's authors said it was wrong. He was also the campaign treasurer for the original judge in the case that delayed it week after week.

Once a journalist turned up the connection to the judge, she summarily withdrew from the case with little explanation. A new judge was selected and then ruled that their interpretation was grossly faulty within a week.

Virtually all blame resides with the hospital and its administrators.
                    the husband is now starting to receive medical bills from the hospital.
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

I see the hospital asking to get the ever loving crap sued out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                        I'm sorry my brain just suffered a BSOD. from a) the baby was what, 12 weeks old? that's within the time limit for an abortion anyway. b) does this mean that ANY termination of a pregnancy is murder? Including miscarriage? (after all, the difference between an abortion and miscarriage is quite small, from what little I know- more or less, miscarriage is spontaneous abortion. Oh dear- if all abortion is bad, then so are miscarriages)

In short, the level of utter ignorance this requires is actually scary, let alone dead flesh incubators.
                        In many people's eyes, yes, ANY abortion at ANY point in a pregnancy is murder. And I do remember reading (but I honestly can't recall if it was satire or real) that one or two politicians were pushing for legislation that would require any woman who had a miscarriage to report it to officials (presumably so they could verify she hadn't had an abortion).

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                          depends on what the medical bills are FOR. if they are for the treatment prior to the woman's death, then fair enough. if thye are bills for the time the life support was extended at the insistence of the hospital, then they need to be told to *expletive* off.

The hospital's legal counsel is a well known anti-abortionist and constructed the argument that this woman fell under the law regarding pregnant women in comas - even the law's authors said it was wrong. He was also the campaign treasurer for the original judge in the case that delayed it week after week.

Once a journalist turned up the connection to the judge, she summarily withdrew from the case with little explanation. A new judge was selected and then ruled that their interpretation was grossly faulty within a week.

Virtually all blame resides with the hospital and its administrators.
                          someone needs their license to practice law revoked. ( although, point of fact- I'm not sure I would blame the hospital if they were following legal advice. They were told by their lawyer that it would be illegal for them to withdraw life support. It's the lawyer who gets the blame, not the hospital.)

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                            depends on what the medical bills are FOR. if they are for the treatment prior to the woman's death, then fair enough. if thye are bills for the time the life support was extended at the insistence of the hospital, then they need to be told to *expletive* off.
                            It was. The hospital was billing them for the expense of keeping her on life support against their wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                              I see the hospital asking to get the ever loving crap sued out of them.
                              I devoutly hope so. That woman's family does not owe that hospital a single penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                                It was. The hospital was billing them for the expense of keeping her on life support against their wishes.
                                Oh, Hell no. if somebody is forced to do something, then it should be at the expense of the person making the decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X