Mississippi KGB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi KGB

YES you did read the title correctly. The State of Mississippi during the 1950's 60's and 70's did indeed create a real life state government sanctioned KGB type agency to spy on its own citizens during the civil rights days. IT was officially called the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission. ITs job was to spy on ANYONE suspected of having ANYTHING to do with the civil rights movement (white OR black). the "mission" was to preserve Miss. and her "sister" states from Federal interference. In reality it was to preserve racial segregation at any cost.

The Commission has been shown to be DIRECTLY linked to the death of Medgar Evers and 3 civil rights workers from the north via information passed from the Commission directly to the KKK.

Now the most shocking thing about this Commission is that yes a LOT of white people did become "agents" but a number of high status BLACK persons who also became "Agents".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississ...nty_Commission
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Not nearly as shocking as it ought to be. (Or should that be the other way around?)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It'd only really be shocking if you didn't realize that white people aren't the only ones capable of being racists assholes. Not everybody profiting from racism are the people with the privilege, after all.

It's about as shocking as knowing that a lot of women fight against equal rights for women and a lot of homosexuals are on the side against marriage equality. You don't have to be part of the group on top to drink the kool-aid.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
      X